Windows Installer not working

gldmontana

Hi,

I found this forum via Dial-a-fix (which I found when searching Kelly's Corner, if I remember correctly.)

I downloaded the latest subscription of my Kaspersky AntiVirus but when trying to install it got the following message: Windows Installer Service could not be accessed..." I ran Dial-a-fix several time after the solutions on the Microsoft web site didn't work. A few days ago, I had downloaded SP3 reluctantly but it didn't install tho it did make a couple of changes on my computer.

System restore wouldn't restore to the last restore point I set about a week ago.

For the last two months I've had problems with my computer locking up and have been trying various solutions from the Castle Cops forum, but now this problem is a new wrinkle.

Are there any ideas for my next step short of throwing this machine out the window?

Thanks.

GLD

Re-reading your first post, it sounds like the Windows Installer problem is only the latest in a chain of events that began with your computer locking-up a couple of months ago. Somewhere in the middle is a partly failed installation of SP3, which sounds like it made matters worse, not better.

Can you give a little more information about the lock-ups and the remedies you tried? This (I hope) will help others to understand whether we are dealing with a hardware problem, an overheating problem, or a software problem (which may, or may not, include some form of malware) as the underlying cause.

Re-reading your first post, it sounds like the Windows Installer problem is only the latest in a chain of events that began with your computer locking-up a couple of months ago. Somewhere in the middle is a partly failed installation of SP3, which sounds like it made matters worse, not better.

Can you give a little more information about the lock-ups and the remedies you tried? This (I hope) will help others to understand whether we are dealing with a hardware problem, an overheating problem, or a software problem (which may, or may not, include some form of malware) as the underlying cause.

Hi, Here is a rundown of what I've tried with an intro of my computer system.

I'm running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 on an ASUSTeK Computer A7V8X; 1.67 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP with 2 512 MB memory cards. The computer is about six years old and has had problems off and on, but had been working well for me for several months until a couple of months ago. Now it is freezing up without regard to any specific activity and CtrlAltDel doesn't help. I have to shut it off manually, wait awhile then start it up again.

I have Malwarebyte's AntiMalware, SuperAntiSpyware, and CCleaner which I run frequently. My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 6200. My antivirus program is Kaspersky Antivirus which expired last week and I tried to install the new subscription which is when I discovered I have a problem with Windows Installer. I tried a number of fixes including everything I could find on Microsoft's web site and Kelly's Corner. I also tried Dial-a-Fix and the solutions on TechGuy forum (where I found Dial-a-Fix.) I used Driver Max to update all of my drivers. I've run CHKDSK a couple of times and have done a Western Digital hard drive test (the quick test) which it passed.

[Another concern: I get a "Can't Collect Information" message when I try to access system info. That's been going on for about half a year. I'm the only user but can't access that for some reason, even in Safe Mode.]

I had installed SP3 last summer but found it problematic so uninstalled it, then tried to install it again a couple of weeks ago thinking that it might have been tweaked and might solve my locking up problem. I think it left some problems behind even tho it didn't install. And, of course, System Restore isn't working.

(Some of the initial problems I have last spring are detailed in the following in Castle Cops....."Windows NT/2000/2003/XP » Can't update windows, can't search, & other problems")

I used my external hard drive last Sept. 25 and again in the latter part of November trying to back up all of my files prior to reinstalling SP3. It's an old hard drive from a previous computer and I had run an AV scan on it as soon as I turned it on. I couldn't delete some of the files on it nor format it but did transfer all of my documents and images to it.

"General Computer Problems » computer freezes up frequently" on Castle Cops again, details just about everything I've tried to date.

I really can't afford a new computer at this point and am not sure I'm up to replacing the hard drive. Hence posting on two forums, desperate for help.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I really appreciate that there are so many knowledgeable people out there will to help others.

GLD

• Administrator

You may want to review the Event Viewer logs for errors in System and Application which can help to narrow down the source of the problem.

In Dial-a-fix go under Tools and go SFC purge and then SFC scan, you'll need your Windows CD. This can help restore/recover files that may be having issues. When that has completed exit the Tools section and click the green checkmark and click GO.

You may want to review the Event Viewer logs for errors in System and Application which can help to narrow down the source of the problem.

In Dial-a-fix go under Tools and go SFC purge and then SFC scan, you'll need your Windows CD. This can help restore/recover files that may be having issues. When that has completed exit the Tools section and click the green checkmark and click GO.

I searched evntvwr and saw a lot of errors and warnings, some of which are not in an error log I saved Oct. 21, which I find really strange!

Anyway here are the significant ones from the current system log

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: Disk

Event Category: None

Event ID: 51

Date: 9/24/2008

Time: 6:40:17 PM

Description:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation.

Event Type: Warning (many) —related to running the external hard drive trying to delete old files and backing up current ones—drive tests free of viruses but maybe it is not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Event Source: Ftdisk

Event Category: Disk

Event ID: 57

Date: 9/24/2008 (and again many on 11/21)

Time: 6:38:08 PM

Description:

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: DCOM

Event ID: 10010

Date: 11/23/2008

Time: 11:09:59 PM

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Description:

The server {000C101C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event ID: 7023

Date: 9/28/2008 (nd again on 11/23)

Time: 11:41:09 AM

Description:

The Application Management service terminated with the following error:

The specified module could not be found.

Event Source: Service Control Manager

Event ID: 7001

Date: 10/18/2008 (and again on 11/26 and 11/28)

Time: 8:48:04 AM

Description:

The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error:

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Event Source: sr

Event ID: 1

Date: 11/21/2008

Time: 2:38:11 PM

Description:

The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC000000E' while processing the file 'change.log' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume2'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

and *Lots of SCM 7000 errors starting 9/25 to 11/23

I will try what you said to do with Dial-a-Fix and post again.

Thanks!

I followed the instructions and it didn't make any change in the situations.

Any other ideas?

I ran Memtest86+ and that showed no errors after running a couple of hours.

Can't update Windows Defender or access Windows Update.

???

Thanks.

GLD

• Administrator

It's either a problematic install or your services need to be reset.

If you want to reset the services, enter this code into your Run box (Start > Run)

secedit /configure /cfg "%windir%\security\templates\setup security.inf" /db ss.sdb /overwrite

On the CastleCops forums you mention problems with the CD/DVD drive, but no-one seems to have followed this up. Since you do not use it much, it is possible to check by simply unplugging the data cable in the back of the drive and seeing if lock-ups reduce or are eliminated.

I am not saying that this is the sole cause of your problems, but an intermittent hardware or controller fault in the CD/DVD drive is consistent with random lock-ups.

I do not know your level of expertise in taking computers apart. If you need instructions, just say so.

It's either a problematic install or your services need to be reset.

If you want to reset the services, enter this code into your Run box (Start > Run)

secedit /configure /cfg "%windir%\security\templates\setup security.inf" /db ss.sdb /overwrite

I cut and paste the code above and entered it in "Run" but got this message: "Windows cannot find secedit....."

???

gld

• Administrator

As much as I hate to say it, it sounds like it may have been a bad install. I spoke to a few other technicians and they have said about the same. You may want to either perform a Repair install or just format and reinstall. Also check your cable connections (from the errors from the Event log) to ensure everything is plugged in real well.

As much as I hate to say it, it sounds like it may have been a bad install. I spoke to a few other technicians and they have said about the same. You may want to either perform a Repair install or just format and reinstall. Also check your cable connections (from the errors from the Event log) to ensure everything is plugged in real well.

What is involved in a Repair install? I know I wouldn't attempt a complete format myself.

Thanks for the advice.

GLD

On the CastleCops forums you mention problems with the CD/DVD drive, but no-one seems to have followed this up. Since you do not use it much, it is possible to check by simply unplugging the data cable in the back of the drive and seeing if lock-ups reduce or are eliminated.

I am not saying that this is the sole cause of your problems, but an intermittent hardware or controller fault in the CD/DVD drive is consistent with random lock-ups.

I do not know your level of expertise in taking computers apart. If you need instructions, just say so.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and it still locked up.

gld

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and it still locked up.

gld

After trying multiple things, the Windows Installer is working now. I was able to renew the Kaspersky antivirus and I haven't had a lockup yet but I've only had the computer on half a day.

I think the post below in Castlecops did the trick, unless I did something else that I've forgotten:

"There are two things I want you to do.

The first is related to the COM+ errors. Please do this:

* Click Start

* Choose Run

* Type 'services.msc' (without quotation signs) and press Enter

* Go to the Services tab

* Check if the following are set to auto-start (or enabled):

o EventSystem (COM+ Event System)

o SENS (System Event Notification)

* If they are for example disabled please set them to auto-start.

The second thing is related to WMI. It has its own Diagnosis Utility and I would like to see a log of it:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcen...lp/wmidiag.mspx

Here's how to run it:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcen...midiag.mspx#ERB

Its log, beginning with 'WMIDIAG' and having the .LOG extension, can be found in your temp folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp

You may have to enable showing system files before you can view that folder: "

I've posted the log results on Castlecops and am waiting to see what he says.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I may yet post again.

GLD

• Administrator

Glad to hear you got it resolved!

The running of this code

would also have fixed the problem because it resets all the Windows services to their defaults. ;)

• 2 months later...

Glad to hear you got it resolved!

The running of this code

would also have fixed the problem because it resets all the Windows services to their defaults. ;)

Hi,

Two and a half months later finds me still trying to figure out why my computer continues to lock up intermittently.

You helped me resolve the installer issue successfully for which I am grateful.

I tried to install SP3 again but it just failed and left the same problem of not being able to access windows updates so I restored it to an earlier restore point.

I also am not able to install two updates...Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 6.0 SP2 (KB954459) and Security Update for Windows XP (KB954600.)

I regularly run Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, CCleaner, Super AntiSpyware Free, DriverMax, and defrag at least every two weeks.

I ran Process Explorer and found a lot of memory eaten up by Hardware Interrupts so made a correction in Primary IDE Channel Properties to make transfer mode "DMA if available." After doing that the interrupts went down to an acceptable level though it still states 'current transfer mode" is PIO.

As a recap, here's my computer info:

Processor:

1.67 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP

128 kilobyte primary memory cache

256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V8X REV 1.xx

Bus Clock: 133 megahertz

BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V8X ACPI BIOS Revision 1010 11/15/2002

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory (2 DDR slots of 512 Mb each)

I've checked to make sure all fittings in the tower are securely seated.

Any suggestions?

Archived