What's your take on this article

RTZ

Well Chome uses the V8 JavaScript engine which is very fast. Now other engines are getting faster too, like TraceMonkey (included in Firefox 3.1).

A fast JavaScript engine is useful for Ajax operations which is client-server interaction using JavaScript and XML.

Now a lot of people are talking about "cloud computing" as if it going to be the next big thing, and lots of people seem to now really know what it is. I am sure there are people who have an interest in cloud computing.

To be honest, I think cloud computing is a trap.

You will trust others with your data, and your privacy will be intruded and you will be datamined. You data will be locked to one vendor which probably will make it very difficult for you to move that data elsewhere.

When they have your data, you will have to rely on their servers to be up, for them not to f*** you over, and for them not to get out of business or close that service.

They will try get you using subscriptions model where you have to continuously pay and pay all the time for SaaS (software as a service).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/...ichard.stallman

I think its a better idea that I run my software on my computer and that my data stays with me on my computer.

Yeah, it's the same old "cloud computing" song-and-dance, not saying anything significant. Much of their "future" is available now with Firefox extensions. By multithreading, are they referring to the way Chrome runs each tab as a separate process? What's the big advantage in that? I've never heard any explanation that makes sense.

Yeah, it's the same old "cloud computing" song-and-dance, not saying anything significant. Much of their "future" is available now with Firefox extensions. By multithreading, are they referring to the way Chrome runs each tab as a separate process? What's the big advantage in that? I've never heard any explanation that makes sense.

I am not exactly what they mean. Some browsers runs tabs as threads, some run them as separate processes. Perhaps threads would share memory and be more light-weight, perhaps processes would provide greater process isolation.

You could use multithreading to simultaneously do multiple HTTP GET requests to download many images at the same time. You could handle file downloads with multithreading.