XP Home with SP 3

Skynard

I recently installed a program which I thought would help with errors that possibly I created for myself, this was a registry cleaner program ( I have an aversion to trying things, without knowing the consequenses in advance ""Big Mistake ""). Not wanting to blame anyone in particular for my mistakes I attempted to correct them on my own (not necessarily a good idea where computers are concerned). After installing the program and running it I was not comfortable with the results, therefore decided to remove it, whereupon it started to remove what I thought were program parts, not so!!!!!

This program removed virtually everything from the "Start>All Programs" section from my start-up section and I don"t know how to restore them as it also removed my " accesories - system restore " I need to have access to anyone that is able to help rectify this. HEEEEEELP, Please.

Skynard

• Administrator

You can find System Restore by running rstrui.exe. Running it may also show you a Restore Point prior to installing the bad registry cleaner. What was the name of this registry cleaner?

You can find System Restore by running rstrui.exe. Running it may also show you a Restore Point prior to installing the bad registry cleaner. What was the name of this registry cleaner?

This was the only way to respond that I could find. You mentioned another thread, I don't know what your talking about.

The program which caused my problems was called Registry Helper application ver. 1.2.532 from a company called "Safe App software, LLC" and the web site address (http://www.reghelper.com)

All the above was provided when I printed out the Invalid Entries Report which I still have. I hope this is of some value to you.

Skynard (Len)

• Administrator

I looked into the program you mentioned and it turns out it's a malicious application. If you can find a System Restore point that is before you installed you can revert to there. After that I would recommend scanning your computer for malware. Go to Start > Run and enter rstrui

Please download my Anti-Malware Toolkit and get the Professional package. Then follow the directions in the PC Cleanup guide. After that, please post a HijackThis log.

In the Introduce Yourself section you had also mentioned the problem. I started to reply to it there but then saw you had posted here as well so I made my reply to your issue here. So this is the "other thread" I mentioned. Hope that helps. :P

I looked into the program you mentioned and it turns out it's a malicious application. If you can find a System Restore point that is before you installed you can revert to there. After that I would recommend scanning your computer for malware. Go to Start > Run and enter rstrui

Please download my Anti-Malware Toolkit and get the Professional package. Then follow the directions in the PC Cleanup guide. After that, please post a HijackThis log.

In the Introduce Yourself section you had also mentioned the problem. I started to reply to it there but then saw you had posted here as well so I made my reply to your issue here. So this is the "other thread" I mentioned. Hope that helps. :P

I appologize for my ignorance in the comprehension of IT issues, but I also appreciate any help suggested regarding my own lack of knowledge with computers. It is, nor has been my intent to appear arrogant, though that may be a concept that some assume, I appologize for that. I truly thank you for confirming my trepidation regarding the program in question though. In the attempt to download the program you suggested (The toolkit for anti-malware )I encountered a problem though. An error occurred and sent an error report to Windows. Please advise your timezone so that I may keep you apprised and ongoing issues. Many Thanks

I just tried to use the "rstrui.exe" in the Start>Run and it came back as non-existant, so at this point I have no idea. Any suggestions. The aforementioned program created havok on my system , but still allows me to have access to the internet, this is an issue that I don't understand in any way.

Skynard (Len)

I get nothing with rstui or rstui.exe, either. Instead, run

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

- I tried that, it works for me (I've got XP Home Edition, too).

On the page where I found that, it mentions that no "undo restore" point will be created if you run System Restore from a command prompt - not that it really matters in your case, you're not going to want to return your computer to its current screwed-up state anyway, but I thought I should let you know.

If you can't return to a restore point from before this debacle, I think you're looking at a reinstall of Windows - but I'm no expert, Tarun is (he rarely gives wrong advice, really!).

I get nothing with rstui or rstui.exe, either. Instead, run

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

- I tried that, it works for me (I've got XP Home Edition, too).

On the page where I found that, it mentions that no "undo restore" point will be created if you run System Restore from a command prompt - not that it really matters in your case, you're not going to want to return your computer to its current screwed-up state anyway, but I thought I should let you know.

If you can't return to a restore point from before this debacle, I think you're looking at a reinstall of Windows - but I'm no expert, Tarun is (he rarely gives wrong advice, really!).

Dear Greenknight: I'll keep this on my to do list, but no malice intended, but I'll wait until Tarun "OK'S" it. And YES correctly so I agree that I don't want it in the present state, the unfortunate part is that for some reason when I attempted to correct prior mistakes by doing a re-install of Windows XP Home it tells me the current version on my system is newer than the one I'm using to re-install (Same CD as was installed originally) the only thing I'm able to figure out is that all the updates from Windows may have changed something. My IT knowledge is such that I should probably be locked out of any administrative rights but as I'm a (Retired) Home user that is unlikely to happen.

I do try to follow directions as directed but unless the directions are explicit, I end up confused and make huge blunders for which I appologize profusely.

Thanks for your efforts though

Skynard (Len)

What greenknight says is correct. Strange that just entering rstrui won't launch it though. Such are the enigmas in Windows. :P

I thank you and will attempt to follow directions provided dizzy.png I can only hope this works as, I explained earlier my ver. CD is not recognized a current so I'm unable to activate repairs.

Thanks again for your help though.

Skynard

Strange that just entering rstrui won't launch it though. Such are the enigmas in Windows. tongue.png

Really, why should it require the full path? Makes no sense. I thought "Whoa, that computer is totally borked" - but then I tried to run rstui. Didn't work for me, either, so I googled for an explanation.

I hope the System Restore works, especially since a repair install didn't. Good luck.

Strange that just entering rstrui won't launch it though. Such are the enigmas in Windows. tongue.png

Really, why should it require the full path? Makes no sense. I thought "Whoa, that computer is totally borked" - but then I tried to run rstui. Didn't work for me, either, so I googled for an explanation.

I hope the System Restore works, especially since a repair install didn't. Good luck.

I thank "all" that made attempts to refurbish my lack of knowledge and aquidity regarding my computer knowledge and/or understanding, it appears there is none (Ha Ha). I also appologize for my lack of understanding as visual aids are an immediate resolution towards my understanding," seeing is believing", seems to be the best way for me . Any future help would be best addressed in "Visual Aids" if at all possible.

Once again I Thank All.

Skynard

• Administrator

Download the attached file and place the Accessories folder into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

You can easily access the folder by right clicking Start and clicking Explore All Users. After that you click Programs and drop the Accessories folder inside.

Accessories.zip

Archived