New forum skin available

Forum skin  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which skin would you like to see as the default skin on here?

• Lunarsoft skin
    • IP.Board 3 skin

• Administrator

Earlier tonight I imported a new skin called IP.Board 3 which is based on the upcoming IP.Board 3 forum software. This is to allow our members to become accustomed to the upcoming changes when IP.Board 3 is released as final software.

To select and use the skin simply scroll to the bottom of any page and in the dropdown box change it from Lunarsoft to IP.Board 3.

To see the official IP.Board 3 skin coming soon, click this link:

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index

Will you be customising the new skin? It looks a bit flat.

One possible bug: when you hover over your user name (top-right-hand corner) the pop-up menu item "View New Posts" appears twice.

The only problem I have with the existing skin is that I can hardly tell the difference between the "new posts" and the "no new posts" icons (on the left-hand side). In other words, a greyed-out moon looks too similar to the non-greyed version.

• Administrator

I will update the skin as updates come out. Aside from that this is just so users see what's coming in the near future.

The Lunarsoft skin (which has been default for years) won't be worked on any longer either since IP.Board 3 is coming soon.

Edit: I fixed the two View New Posts items and fixed a few other minor issues.

• Administrator

If you want you could make a poll and I'll add it to the initial post. :)

I didn't want to suddenly force people into this theme but if enough of the visitors want to, I can change it.

Now that Ultimate Predator has posted, I see that the new skin also truncates some Display Names....

Only 16 characters ("Ultimate Predato...") seems a bit short.

I also agree with greenknight that the body text in the new smaller, condensed font is harder to read.

• Administrator

Personally prefer the Lunarsoft skin a lot more, but the new skin has a lot of potential.

Right now this skin is just so people can get used to what's coming with IP.Board 3. While it's not exact, it's close. So that should help.

It looks good, but I don't like the smaller text. I can zoom it in, of course, but still...

On the official forums the text isn't quite so small.

Poll added, and choices kept to a minimum, didn't want to include a "don't care" option because I would rather see definite results. ;)

Thanks Capman! I agree that there shouldn't be a null vote option. Regardless when IP.Board 3 comes out there really won't be any options for skins, so it will be the default. The skin engine is totally new so 2.x skins won't work on 3.x, obviously.

Now that Ultimate Predator has posted, I see that the new skin also truncates some Display Names....

Only 16 characters ("Ultimate Predato...") seems a bit short.

I also agree with greenknight that the body text in the new smaller, condensed font is harder to read.

The name issue is by design, actually. It's not part of the skins. You'll see that on MSFN too. :)

Right now this skin is just so people can get used to what's coming with IP.Board 3. While it's not exact, it's close. So that should help.

I see. Well, from the looks of things, still prefer the original skin.

Regardless when IP.Board 3 comes out there really won't be any options for skins, so it will be the default. The skin engine is totally new so 2.x skins won't work on 3.x, obviously.

Huh? So when this comes along, it'll be default anyway? Or you mean a future forum update would make it default and make the current defaul skin void?

The name issue is by design, actually. It's not part of the skins. You'll see that on MSFN too. tongue.png

Any way of changing that?

• Administrator

I see. Well, from the looks of things, still prefer the original skin.

The IP.Board 3 skin quickly grew on me when I used their preview site. They keep improving it.

Huh? So when this comes along, it'll be default anyway? Or you mean a future forum update would make it default and make the current defaul skin void?

When IP.Board 3 comes out, all previous skins (for 2.x) will be gone because they will not work with 3.x.

Any way of changing that?

Should be fixed now. :)

The IP.Board 3 skin quickly grew on me when I used their preview site. They keep improving it.

Hopefully it will for me as well!

When IP.Board 3 comes out, all previous skins (for 2.x) will be gone because they will not work with 3.x.

So this skin will disappear when IP.Board 3 arrives. How long will that be?

Should be fixed now. wink.png

Cheers.

• Administrator

Not sure when the final version will be released. Beta 5 is currently being worked on. After that there may be an RC or two, then the final release.

• Administrator

Even with the Lunarsoft skin UP never had the last r in his name. It's due to the core of the forum software that truncates long names. I just upped it from 16 to 17.

• Administrator

With the way the votes are going it looks like I'll change it over soon, but people can switch back if they want.

Edit: Member skins have been updated to IP.Board 3. The option to change back to the Lunarsoft skin is still available.

Edited by Tarun
Skin change.

• Administrator

It was part of a sidebar that they had in the skin that I removed since it took up over one-fourth of the page.

I'll see about adding 'Today's Active Topics' link to the bottom of the page soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

RC1 of the forum software was released on May 14th, RC2 looks like it'll be out soon and final might be out in June if we're lucky.

The new skin seems ok after using it for a bit. One or two glitches in it still, of which the only annoying one for me is that there do not seem to be any topic icons that show that I have already posted in a topic.