Operating System: Linux

File Size: 692MB

License: Open Source

HomePage: http://fedoraproject.org/

Screenshots: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Screenshot_Tour

Wiki: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

Release Notes: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f11/

Downloads: http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

The Fedora Project is an openly-developed project designed by Red Hat, open for general participation, led by a meritocracy, following a set of project objectives. The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the Linux community to build a complete, general purpose operating system exclusively from open source software. Development will be done in a public forum. The project will produce time-based releases of Fedora Core about 2-3 times a year, with a public release schedule. The Red Hat engineering team will continue to participate in building Fedora Core and will invite and encourage more outside participation than in past releases. By using this more open process, we hope to provide an operating system more in line with the ideals of free software and more appealing to the open source community

I have only tried Fedora in a virtual machine, and it was version 10.

Fedora is always on the fore front of Linux technology. They was first with Plymouth, and kernel-mode setting.

Think they were early and active with Xgl/Compiz, PulseAudio, DeviceKit, PolicyKit, PackageKit, etc.

Fedora is used by NASA, and is running on IBM RoadRunner - the worlds fastest supercomputer, and is used by Linus Torvalds, the author of the Linux kernel.

I have only tried Fedora in a virtual machine, and it was version 10.

Fedora is always on the fore front of Linux technology. They was first with Plymouth, and kernel-mode setting.

Think they were early and active with Xgl/Compiz, PulseAudio, DeviceKit, PolicyKit, PackageKit, etc.

Fedora is used by NASA, and is running on IBM RoadRunner - the worlds fastest supercomputer, and is used by Linus Torvalds, the author of the Linux kernel.

Better than Ubuntu?

Better than Ubuntu?

Many people use Ubuntu and think not.

Many people use Fedora and think so.

I don't know, I haven't had enough time with Fedora.

Guess much of it comes down to personal preference and such.

Fedora for sure is more bleeding-edge and innovating.

Fedora probably is good for technical users who wish to live on the bleeding-edge.

Ubuntu probably is good for most people.

Better than Ubuntu?

Many people use Ubuntu and think not.

Many people use Fedora and think so.

I don't know, I haven't had enough time with Fedora.

Guess much of it comes down to personal preference and such.

Fedora for sure is more bleeding-edge and innovating.

Fedora probably is good for technical users who wish to live on the bleeding-edge.

Ubuntu probably is good for most people.

I see. Ubuntu is basically good for Linux newbies?

I see. Ubuntu is basically good for Linux newbies?

for linux newbies i'd say it is.

Theres lots of information floating around google to find whatever you need.

As a linux newbie with very little usage (about 5 attempts to switch to linux).. I got Apache, Php, Mysql, Webmin, and an Email server up and running the same day.

Today i installed a TeamFortress2 Dedicated Server on it and wasn't hard at all.. Just had to follow a small tutorial.

• 2 weeks later...

Fedora now has so many packages with a graphical/windows interface that there isn't much to choose between Fedora and Ubuntu. The GNOME desktop (KDE is also available) comes with a complete menu system, control panel, add/remove software applet, wifi and just about anything else you need.

I upgraded a box running Fedora 9 to Fedora 11 a couple of weeks ago, by just typing three words at the command-line. The upgrade was completely automatic with no user interaction needed. It first downloaded about 1.2GB to replace every package currently installed (about 10 minutes), then installed everything (about 30 minutes) and finally requested a reboot. After rebooting the new version 11 came up, with all existing data intact.

The only really annoying bug is that occasionally the screen will blank itself momentarily for no apparent reason. This is thought to be a bug in the GNOME desktop power management. Otherwise it seems rock-solid. Incidentally, it comes with Firefox 3.5 Beta 4.

There's another annoying bug in Fedora 11, which I forgot to mention. The initial release broke playing of audio CDs -- they would not play automatically (or even at all) when put in the CD-ROM or DVD drives.

A fix is now available, released on 2009-06-27: you need to update the gvfs component to gvfs-1.2.3-7.fc11. Either use Software Update from the menu or type:

yum update gvfs

at a terminal session (terminal = command-prompt in Windows). Further details are available at gvfs-1.2.3-7.fc11 bugfix update

Audio CDs are now recognised again and you can choose what response to make when an Audio CD is inserted (play automatically with the program of your choice, prompt every time before doing anything, or do nothing at all).