Firefox 4 to have tabs on top

• Administrator

As you may know, Firefox 4 will have the tab bar placed on top of the navigation bar by default, significantly changing the way it looks and, to some degree, behaves for long time Firefox users.

As Alex Faaborg emphasizes in this video, this is all about the default layout. Reversing to tabs below the navigation bar is a matter of right clicking on the toolbars and unchecking this option.

YouTube

Link: Lunarsoft

As you may know, Firefox 4 will have the tab bar placed on top of the navigation bar by default, significantly changing the way it looks and, to some degree, behaves ...

Uhhh, yes, there are pics on the mozilla wiki, which have been up for a few weeks.

In my view, they look best on Mac OS X and worst on Windows XP.

Windows: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4.0_Windows_Theme_Mockups

Linux: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4.0_Linux_Theme_Mockups

Mac: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4.0_Mac_Theme_Mockups

• Administrator

As you may know, Firefox 4 will have the tab bar placed on top of the navigation bar by default, significantly changing the way it looks and, to some degree, behaves ...

Uhhh, yes, there are pics on the mozilla wiki, which have been up for a few weeks.

Just quoting some news articles. Figured some people might like to hear about the changes coming to Firefox 4. Haven't seen it discussed much on the web on most sites.

Uhhh, yes,...

Meanie! :)

Overall I think Mozilla is doing a pretty good job with Firefox, I just hope they don't add things simply to - well, add something. I fear they (Mozilla) will get nervous if they detect the user base doesn't see anything 'New" all the while forgetting they have a 'free', 'reliable', and 'secure' browser - for the most part. :)

I wonder if you can move the tabs to the right side (vertical)? This may sound strange but for a while I have been feeling I am 'reaching' over my work as the mouse moves up. I would like to get a feel for the tabs being on the right where I don't have to cross over the work space. I would like to see this as a 'native' feature and not a plugin or addon.

I absolutely can't see the point to this change; can't say I like it much, either. Easy enough to switch it back, though.

A more significant change, IMHO, is removing the Menu Bar by default and replacing it with an App Button on the Title Bar. The thought behind this is that the Menu Bar buttons aren't used that often, so they don't need to be taking up screen space all the time - better to put them in a drop-down menu. Makes sense to me. :)

• Administrator

I've been trying the Firefox 4 default with tabs on top and all. I'm still getting used to it but overall I'm liking it more. As the video said, it makes more sense.