trouble with msvcrt.dll

cz777

It's a run-time needed by some programs - from Wikipedia:

Msvcrt.dll is the Microsoft Visual C++ Run-Time for Visual C++ version 4.2 to 6.0. It provides programs compiled with these versions of Visual C++ a typical set of library functions required by C and C++ programs. These include string manipulation, memory allocation, C-style input/output calls, etc.

It has also shipped with Windows versions since Windows 2000 for use by other Windows components. In older versions of Windows, programs which linked against Msvcrt.dll were expected to install a compatible copy in the System32 folder, but this contributed to DLL Hell.

Versions of Visual C++ before 4.0 and since 7.0 have used differently named DLLs for each version (msvcr20.dll, msvcr70.dll, msvcr71.dll, etc). Applications are required to install the appropriate version.

So, what's the problem?

It's a run-time needed by some programs - from Wikipedia:

Msvcrt.dll is the Microsoft Visual C++ Run-Time for Visual C++ version 4.2 to 6.0. It provides programs compiled with these versions of Visual C++ a typical set of library functions required by C and C++ programs. These include string manipulation, memory allocation, C-style input/output calls, etc.

It has also shipped with Windows versions since Windows 2000 for use by other Windows components. In older versions of Windows, programs which linked against Msvcrt.dll were expected to install a compatible copy in the System32 folder, but this contributed to DLL Hell.

Versions of Visual C++ before 4.0 and since 7.0 have used differently named DLLs for each version (msvcr20.dll, msvcr70.dll, msvcr71.dll, etc). Applications are required to install the appropriate version.

So, what's the problem?

the trouble i have is like outlook ,opera will fire off that trouble but still work!

You mean you're getting an error message? What exactly is it?

When the error message or whatever kind of message pops up again get a screen shot of the error dialog box - click 'Prt Scr' or 'Alt + Prt Scr'. 'Paste' the capture in any image editor, Paint works fine, IrfanView will work also, save-as .jpg. Post the image so it can be looked at, it may or may not reveal something.

It wouldn't hurt to explain exactly what you were doing when the error occurred as well: "I opened Outlook, when I went to save such and such the error dialog appeared again."

It's possible some app you installed may have overwritten the original and Outlook doesn't quite recognize all the dll code. Have you tried to find the Microsoft runtime and re install?

I would see if a warning gets written to 'Event Viewer' in 'Application' or 'System'. Next time the message pops up, make note of the exact day and time, get the screen shot, then I would open 'Event Viewer' and check. You can find Event Viewer at Admin Tools - Event Viewer.

Archived