mouse53

I have a newer tower running Windows Vista SP2, Core 2 duo, 3GH, 400G hard drive, NVdia GeForce 7600GT. When I insert a flash drive or an external HD, Windows wants to install drivers which it cannot find. I know Vista comes with the USB drivers and my game wheel, joystick, etc work fine. Can't use a USB flash drive because windows will not install without drivers. Anyone know why or how to remedy this problem?

• Administrator

Sometimes just a simple reboot can help remedy these sort of issues.

What's the name of the flash drive (in case it needs drivers for some odd reason) and also, does it work fine on any other computers?

• 3 months later...

I have tried rebooting to no avail. I tried the manufacturers site, they don't provide drivers since Vista comes with them already loaded. If I reboot with the flashdrive inserted in the USB slot it is seen , until I remove it or reboot again, ( or do a Windows update ) the drive is not seen. This also happens occasionally with a 1T internal drive I recently installed. My wife and I have identical towers, but hers does not have this problem. We have gone through the system files and driver files trying to find differences, but so far have found none. I even e-mailed the company that built the towers for us, Ascentech, but they didn't know either. The flashdrives, ( there were 2 ) work and are seen in my wife's computer, but not mine.

Archived