Firefox 8.0.1

NewsBot

Firefox (referred to as Fx) is an open source browser developed by Mozilla. The second most popular browser worldwide, Firefox features a customizable user interface that allows you to enhance it using custom themes and Personas. Personas change the appearance of the user interface without rearranging the elements. Themes however, can completely change the UI ranging from the types of buttons to the color sceme used. Add-ons allow you to customize Firefox to your liking to make a more enjoyable web surfing experience. Some examples of popular add-ons that you can use to customize Firefox are AdBlock Plus, DownThemAll!, TabMixPlus and many more.

Firefox has tabbed browsing, bookmarks, a built in session manager, private browsing, personas, themes, add-ons and more. Firefox does not use ActiveX which helps make it a more secure browser. Firefox does make use of many plugins to enhance your web experience. From Shockwave, Flash, Quicktime and more; your browsing experience reaches new levels with the Firefox browser.

Downloads: Firefox 8.0.1 | All builds

View: Release Notes

Homepage: Mozilla Firefox

View the full article

It's not there because they're still building it. The last attempt (for Windows) failed to compile.

Is it specific languages that fail to compile? Post #1 and FileHippo both point to en-US/Firefox Setup 8.0.1.exe. Where is FileHippo getting their file from.

I wonder if post #4 matches FileHippo:

Name: Firefox Setup 8.0.1.exe

Size: 14,752,872

Hash: D775D121A0799FF9C448201A533CA7D9

It's a bit hard to tell, as the link in post#4 is dead -- the file was yanked because it didn't work.

The 8.0.1 RC from yesterday, which is, er WAS, probably a later build than the FileHippo one is also now out-of-date itself.

The FileHippo one may even be the early version that crashed.

Last time I checked, it's going to be another day (i.e. tomorrow) before it's all built again.

Not much to this update anyway. From what I hear only Mac users will get it through auto-update, since it fixes a Java bug in Macs. For Windows and Linux, it's an optional update - you need it only if you run an old version of Roboform, Firefox has been blocking those for no good reason and this update will fix that.

I agree. Not much for Windows users and pretty irresponsible of the news sites and FileHippo to link to a test version which didn't work.

For Macs, however, it's really needed, as the Java bug has risen from nowhere to being the #1 top crash on a Mac ever since the new Java update* was released back on about 8th or 9th November.

*That's Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 6 (for Snow Leopard) & Java for OS X Lion Update 1.

For RoboForm, I think it's the other way round. There's an incompatibility causing a crash on startup, so some versions need blocking. There's more to it that just updating the blocklist -- it seems Firefox also needs patching for this.

Just to confirm, and amplify, what has already been said

... From what I hear only Mac users will get it through auto-update ...

If you are running 8.0 on Windows or Linux, you will not see any form of auto-update (to 8.0.1).

If you are running 8.0 on Windows or Linux, and you check for updates manually you will still be told that Firefox is up-to-date. (You still won't get 8.0.1.)

Only Mac 8.0 users will receive the update to 8.0.1 either automatically or manually.

For RoboForm, I think it's the other way round. There's an incompatibility causing a crash on startup, so some versions need blocking. There's more to it that just updating the blocklist -- it seems Firefox also needs patching for this.

What's new in Firefox 8.0.1

• Fixed Mac OS X crash that occurred in certain instances when a Java Applet is loaded with Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_29 installed.
  • Fixed Windows startup crash caused by RoboForm versions older than 7.6.2.