Facebook accused of deceiving developers over security

Facebook has been accused of deceiving developers after it emerged that the social networking site did nothing to verify the security of applications it was paid tens of thousands of dollars to review, and which it assured users had been checked.

It is believed Facebook was paid up to $95,000 (£60,600) by developers whose applications were entered into its verified apps scheme.

The system gave a green tick of approval to apps that passed what Facebook described as its "test for trustworthy user experiences".

An investigation by the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) revealed that Facebook took no steps to review the applications in its now-closed scheme. Facebook awarded the verified badge to 254 applications, according to the FTC.

View the full article

I recommend entirerly disabling the Facebook application platform for Facebook users.

Apps are useless and just spies on you and posts in your log and do stupid s***.

Facebook should be about communication and being social, not about silly apps.

I also hope FTC goes down hard on Facebook and makes them pay up big time.

• Administrator

Yeah a lot of their apps are very annoying. All those garbage Zynga games for example. I rather hope that EA wins the lawsuit against Zynga (Zynga ripped off Sims Social or something like that).

I think Facebook's entire UI sucks, but the apps are the worst - and they're deceiving everybody if they pretend there's any security there.

People keep sending me game requests, even though I've repeatedly replied that I don't do Facebook games. I finally gave up, now I just ignore them.

Yeah a lot of their apps are very annoying. All those garbage Zynga games for example. I rather hope that EA wins the lawsuit against Zynga (Zynga ripped off Sims Social or something like that).

I think both EA and Zynga sucks.

I think Facebook's entire UI sucks, but the apps are the worst - and they're deceiving everybody if they pretend there's any security there.

People keep sending me game requests, even though I've repeatedly replied that I don't do Facebook games. I finally gave up, now I just ignore them.

Yes, apps are very deceptive. Many people don't realize how apps work and what they do and get taken advantage of.

I recommend that you disable the Facebook application platform entirely.