How do I prevent installation of software?

Eldmannen

We have a laptop running Windows 7 with one administrator account and two user accounts.

Only I have the password to the administrator account and I have not revealed it to anyone.

I have raised the UAC setting to high.

Somehow, the users still manage to install software on the computer.

They've installed uTorrent (with contains the Conduit toolbar spyware/adware) thing that it installs into Chrome, Firefox, etc. They've also managed to install Adobe Reader X, and other software.

How can I prevent users from installing software?

• Administrator

You could also use a sandbox program like Toolwiz TimeFreeze: http://www.toolwiz.com/products/toolwiz-time-freeze/. (there are others, but I like this one). Set it up with a password and select "Enter TimeFreeze mode when Windows starts", nobody will be able to save any changes to the computer without entering the password and restarting. Very easy to use, also includes File Locker so you can block access to files or folders you don't want anyone messing with. Just don't forget the password! It's useful for checking out questionable sites, even if you don't want to have it running all the time; that's what I use it for.

I think UAC is both weak and annoying, I disabled it on my laptop and replaced it with SpyShelter Personal Free: http://www.spyshelter.com/download.php . It does more and it's more configureable. It's an anti-keylogger,AntiScreenCapture,AntiClipboardCapture and HIPS, and you can tell it to remember programs you allow so you don't have to allow them every time they open.

Have you considered group policies and/or restrictions?

It is Windows 7 Home Premium so group policies are not available.

Parental Controls let you select "Select all" to allow all files, but when new files are added, you need to re-approve those.

So wouldn't need to re-approve everytime a new game is downloaded from Steam.

You could also use a sandbox program like Toolwiz TimeFreeze

I want them to be able to save and store files in their user directory and change preferences such as wallpaper, bookmarks, browser history, etc.

You could also use a sandbox program like Toolwiz TimeFreeze

I want them to be able to save and store files in their user directory and change preferences such as wallpaper, bookmarks, browser history, etc.

It would be a huge pain, no doubt, since you would have to be there to allow changes. They could save files to removable media for later, but not settings, browser history, and such.

It would teach them a lesson, though, wouldn't it?  :lol:

It would teach them a lesson, though, wouldn't it?  :lol:

It doesn't work that way.

If I do anything to their computer that they don't like or find cumbersome (even due to their incompetence and stupidity) then it is my fault, they blame me, and I get tons of whining and s*** for it.

They whined a lot on me already after I created a new admin account and revoked their admin rights.

If I do anything to their computer that they don't like or find cumbersome (even due to their incompetence and stupidity) then it is my fault, they blame me, and I get tons of whining and s*** for it.

They whined a lot on me already after I created a new admin account and revoked their admin rights.

That's going to happen whatever you do.

Archived