NAV removal broke updating

greenknight

Saturday I noticed Windows auto-updates weren't downloading, the icon appeared and just disappeared again. Went to MS Update, couldn't download manually either. Update History showed this update had failed repeatedly since Tuesday, with error code 0x80246008.

In their Newsgroup I found a lot of people had the same problem. The explanation was that uninstalling Norton had damaged or deleted a file crucial to the BITS service that downloads updates.

I had used the Symantec Removal Utility to remove some leftover Norton files that wouldn't delete, back in mid-August, apparently that created the problem.

There were some fixes offered, unfortunately they didn't work for me! I finally did a System Restore to the point I created before removing those files. This caused lots of other problems, but updates now work. Also, the NAV garbage is back, not what I call an ideal solution. :D

So, anybody who's uninstalled Norton should check to see if they're still getting updates to Windows. Not sure how many versions are affected, XP and 2k at least.

I have just been on the windows update site and according to my history there, I had the download of the malicious software removal tool on the 14th, however it is not listed in my "add and remove" list of updates. I do not have Norton. Any advice would be appreciated.

Not too clear about using dial-a-fix Tarun.

It says his site last updated on the 9th of Sept. but the tool wasn't downloaded until after then I think (I may be wrong about that.)

The number is KB890830.

Could you be a bit more specific on what I have to do?

Thank you :D

Saturday I noticed Windows auto-updates weren't downloading, the icon appeared and just disappeared again. Went to MS Update, couldn't download manually either. Update History showed this update had failed repeatedly since Tuesday, with error code 0x80246008.

In their Newsgroup I found a lot of people had the same problem. The explanation was that uninstalling Norton had damaged or deleted a file crucial to the BITS service that downloads updates.

I had used the Symantec Removal Utility to remove some leftover Norton files that wouldn't delete, back in mid-August, apparently that created the problem.

There were some fixes offered, unfortunately they didn't work for me! I finally did a System Restore to the point I created before removing those files. This caused lots of other problems, but updates now work. Also, the NAV garbage is back, not what I call an  ideal solution. :D

So, anybody who's uninstalled Norton should check to see if they're still getting updates to Windows. Not sure how many versions are affected, XP and 2k at least.

I had this exact same issue for the exact same reason, and it tore me apart inside. It also prompted me to begin what is now Dial-a-fix v0.50.

The Malicious Software Removal Tool update is the one I downloaded, it doesn't show up in the Add/Remove list for me, either. Update History shows that there have been a series of updates for this tool, going back to at least February (which was as far back as I looked). None of these are listed in Add/Remove, somehow I doubt it's a problem.

DJ's program sounds good to have, though my immediate problem is fixed. I don't know if it's worth the trouble to try again to remove the Norton Protected Recycle Bin files (that's the only active NAV component). It doesn't take up that much space, it just irritates me.

<edit> DJ, your reply just appeared while I was typing the above (why the long delay?), not surprised to hear that, really. Lots of users seem to be having this problem, no doubt because lots of people are dumping NAV.

If Dial-a-fix definitely fixes that problem, I might give SRU another try. At least I know now to check to see if BITS is working. In the worst case, an immediate system restore isn't likely to cause the problems that going back 26 days did!

The Malicious Software Removal Tool update is the one I downloaded, it doesn't show up in the Add/Remove list for me, either. Update History shows that there have been a series of updates for this tool, going back to at least February (which was as far back as I looked). None of these are listed in Add/Remove, somehow I doubt it's a problem.

DJ's program sounds good to have, though my immediate problem is fixed. I don't know if it's worth the trouble to try again to remove the Norton Protected Recycle Bin files (that's the only active NAV component). It doesn't take up that much space, it just irritates me.

<edit> DJ, your reply just appeared while I was typing the above (why  the long delay?), not surprised to hear that, really. Lots of users seem to be having this problem, no doubt because lots of people are dumping NAV.

If Dial-a-fix definitely fixes that problem, I might give SRU another try. At least I know now to check to see if BITS is working. In the worst case, an immediate system restore isn't likely to cause the problems that going back 26 days did!

DAF tries its best to fix this issue, but isn't always successful (depending on what SYMRT has done). In a few cases, it's worked, and in others, it hasn't. I'm not sure exactly where to look to completely guarantee that DAF can fix it, so it's up in the air. DAF gets smarter with each new version, though!

hazelnut, this is taken from the following microsoft support page:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830#...122120121120120

• Q2: What installer does this tool use?

A2: The tool does not install or update files on a computer. Therefore the tool does not use an installer, such as Windows Installer or Update.exe. It is packaged within a self-extracting CAB executable to reduce the size of the package.

• Q3: How do I uninstall the tool?

A3:The tool is not installed on the computer. No Program folder entry or Add / Remove Programs entry is created when the tool is run.

Well, DAF did the trick for me! I removed my NAV remnants (breaking BITS again), then ran the Fix Windows Update section of DAF.

I was then able to restart BITS with no trouble. When I feel like taking the time I'm going to run the rest of DAF, see if it takes care of some of the annoying little glitches I'm plagued with.

Good job, DJ.

• 2 months later...

Even though I can update WinXP now, autoupdate hasn't been working, even though it's supposedly enabled. Don't really need it, but the m@#*&%^$)#@r should work! I've downloaded the latest update to DAF (0.55) and run it, won't know til next month if it helped.

I can download updates, that works fine. They don't download automatically is the only problem. Like I said, I don't really need that, but I would like to get everything back to functioning as well as it was before I started "fixing" things.

• Administrator

I can download updates, that works fine. They don't download automatically is the only problem. Like I said, I don't really need that, but I would like to get everything back to functioning as well as it was before I started "fixing" things.

Did you try checking Automatic Updates in your Control Panel and making sure the settings are correct too?

Yes, I had, but I just checked again to make sure. Automatic Update is enabled, set to check every day, BITS is started, MS Update detects autoupdate as enabled, but patch Tuesday comes and goes without anything being downloaded. Then I update manually, and that works without a hitch.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived