Networking how to

sickchik

I am getting ready to buy a new computer in about a week. I want to put the older computer I have in my bedroom. I know i need a router, but what kind specifically? I want to be able to access the internet on both pc's and use one printer. And if someone got ambitious and put a how to on here about home networking, That would be okay too. :) Because i really have no idea what i am doin when it comes to routers and networking. :)

I can't comment on what router you need as I don't know what is available in the States, but once you get one I will help you get it set up how you want, (if I can).

Edit,

If you can get a Belkin out there, then I can help more than if it is another make.

I can't comment on what router you need as I don't know what is available in the States, but once you get one I will help you get it set up how you want, (if I can).

Edit,

If you can get a Belkin out there, then I can help more than if it is another make.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks capman

LinkSys; it's able to use open source firmware with better options.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My mom has a netgear. I need to know what to look for. Are there different types of routers for specific networking? wireless-g(have no clue what that means), i saw one with broadband, one 802.11? Remember i know nothing about networking. Not even what equipment to buy. :(

Thanks hazelnut. That helped me tremendously.

I guess the question is now: How do I find out if the PC I am on has wireless networking, or needs an adapter?

And I decided to upgrade my processor instead of buying a TV Tuner. I have a t.v.

It's a step up from a 920 to a 930 I do believe. Is it worth the 100$. I will be backing up my whole DVD colection which is quite massive. As iI do not wanna spend alot of time doing this(no more than necessary), is this gonna make my computer any faster?

Thanks punk.gif