Windows Defender

JMac

Oh, lets see here...

Looks like everyone else already asked you the good questions. :unsure:

I only have a few suggestions:

1. Open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), click the Processes tab, and see how many times the Windows Defender installer is running. If you find it listed multiple times, try ending all of them and then run the installer again. Any luck?

2. If that doesn't work or isn't your particular case, try restarting your computer, as this will restart all processes in case you couldn't manually close the installer.

3. Assuming you have done 2. and still have the problem, try running the installer again. But this time, instead of closing it out when it doesn't appear to be doing anything, look at your computer tower and see if your hard drive light is blinking. There is a possibly that it is in fact installing, but it is just taking a long time. Usually Microsoft applications take a while to install, especially if you only have a half gig of RAM or a lot of hard drive fragmentation.

But this time, instead of closing it out when it doesn't appear to be doing anything, look at your computer tower and see if your hard drive light is blinking.  There is a possibly that it is in fact installing, but it is just taking a long time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad that you mentioned that. I was tossing that around. That's a good possibility.

@JMac: How much hd free space do you have? Regardless, defrag then install, and watch your tower before stopping it.

L...you may be onto something. :unsure:

i had 2 running 1 o them removed easily the other 1 wont end

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Restart your computer and enter into Safe Mode. Then run the installer. That way, you know that it won't be running until you tell it to. Make sure you only double-click (not-quaterodecila-click like my old principal used to do). You only want the installer running once. There is a good chance that is your problem.

Something I found on another forum while looking for Tarun

I am trying to install the beta2 and during the install process it tries to uninstall the beta1 version. It is trying to find Microsoft AntiSpyware.msi and I no longer have the install package. Does anyone know where to download it so I can uninstall it?

I have tried uninstalling via the control panel and it also asks for the file.

Someone replies...

URL has the right date for 701. With it you could reinstall ASW 701 and then remove it completely.
?

To which the OP replies:

Thanks for the link! It worked fine and I am now running the beta 2

So I guess that's next on the list... try it and let us know.

-Seramar

i had 2 running 1 o them removed easily the other 1 wont end

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Restart your computer and enter into Safe Mode. Then run the installer. That way, you know that it won't be running until you tell it to. Make sure you only double-click (not-quaterodecila-click like my old principal used to do). You only want the installer running once. There is a good chance that is your problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In all of my experience if you try to run a microsoft installer more than once it will tell you so and you won't be able to conitnue the second one.

Your forum pic causes seizures.

-Seramar

In all of my experience if you try to run a microsoft installer more than once it will tell you so and you won't be able to conitnue the second one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I don't think that's true in this case, because I had installed WD 3 times before I realized that it had intalled. Had to remove the extras. :P

@lokoike: I like your avatar. :unsure:

Your forum pic causes seizures.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now, that has only happened a couple times, and we promised we wouldn't bring that up anymore. :unsure:

But yes, normally an installer will not let itself run multiple times, but sometimes Windows will accidently not close it out, so if you try to run it again, it will goof up, because it is still running from a previous attempt.

I have run into this problem with numerous apps and installers, and the best and easiest way to fix it is either:

1. Manually close all instances of the program and run it again, or if that doesn't work

2. Go into Safe Mode and try it out

• Administrator

what button is it to go into safe mode  :unsure:

After your BIOS splash screen/POST, you should see a screen with your OEM branding (usually something like Dell, HP, Gateway). As that begins to fade, press F8 and keep tapping it. Options for Safe Mode will then appear before the Windows splash screen ever appears.