Avast! Home Edition 4.7.817

JMac

Avast! 4 Home Edition is a full-featured antivirus package designed exclusively for home users, non-commercial users. Home Edition is free of charge, since in our opinion, it is possible to avoid global virus spreading by efficient prevention; however, many user are not able or do not want to pay for antivirus software.

# further improved Standard Shield speed under Windows XP (generally, less files are scanned)

# Standard Shield: improved compatibility with Microsoft Office (particularly, saving of Excel documents on network shares)

# mail scanner now doesn't show Timeout Expired messages; the program was modified so that the respective timeout can be controlled by the mail client itself

# mail scanner: solved problem with the mail client reporting expired timeouts when sending larger emails via slow connectections

# mail scanner: fixed problem with delays during IP address reverse-lookup

# mail scanner: fixed displaying of tray icon

# P2P Shield: added support for Winny2 and Google Talk

# Web Shield: improved compatibility with Win9x

# transition to new data storage - avast does not need the ODBC/Jet drivers anymore and should therefore work better even under older versions of Windows (95/98/ME, NT4)

# fixed a bug in the Script Blocker module that was causing conflicts with some programs under non-English Windows (e.g. the German invoice system Lexware)

# added support for additional executable packers (e.g. MoleBox)

# fixed a bug that was sometimes causing very slow scanning of CAB archives

# boot-time scanner: added support for additional archives (GZ, BZIP2, TAR, LHARC, ZOO)

# improved handling of infected files with exotic filenames

# solved a problem with setting of incorrect access rights to the avast executable files

# removed a limit of maximal length of winpopup alerts (used to be 128 characters)

# Enhanced User Interface: infected items are now marked as red

# implemented new method of deleting of locked infected files (now using the boot-time scanner technology)

# this new version is now compatible with the Windows Disk Protection feature from Microsoft Shared Computing Toolkit.

# Avast should now work flawlessly with Windows Vista beta 2 and higher (Vista beta 2 will be released in the first half of May, i.e. in about 3 weeks); unfortunately, in beta1 + CTP builds <= 5342 there still can be serious OS stability issues

Download Avast! Home Edition 4.7.817

• Administrator

I don't see anything good coming from Grisoft (AVG) buying ewido. I have a strong feelnig the product will decline rapidly. AVG can find viruses, but not clean or remove them properly. Imagine how that will affect ewido.

What are folks thoughts on Avast?  Is it as good as Etrust or better yet again?

All feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i am giving some of my personal views... hope you guys dont mind...

Avast Home over eTrust

- free, no yearly subscription fees required...

- IDS (Intrusion Detection System)

- additional protections such as P2P, IM etc...

- detect adware, spyware and dialers

- more configuration options compared to eTrust...

- international languages...

- support 64bits OS...

eTrust over Avast Home

- simple and user-friendly interface...

- automated, doesnt require user interaction most of the time...

- light on system resources...

but both are great! :P

G'day folks,

well, I downloaded Avast yesterday as I was having some major issues with my system, ie; running ultra slow and not loading everything.

After having run Ewido it found 25 malicious programs and successfully cleaned/removed them.

I then did a quick check of my file structures/directories and found a few Toolbar.exe files in the root directory, ran Ewido again, but it found nothing.

I then, as stated, downloaded Avast, and it subsequently found the Toolbar.exe files and a swag of others.

This has now left me with asking a new question.

What's better than Avast and Ewido out there, as I prefer to have a one-in-all program that cleans everything and am sick of having to load multiple virii/trojan/malware programs to combat the crap that keeps loading onto my system?

Cheers :P

What's better than Avast and Ewido out there, as I prefer to have a one-in-all program that cleans everything and am sick of having to load multiple virii/trojan/malware programs to combat the crap that keeps loading onto my system?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A good firewall keeps all of that junk from getting on in the first place. I personally use ZoneAlarm Pro, keep it updated, and I never get anything, whether viral or spywaral(?).

And so that Tarun doesn't come over here and whoop me like a government mule, I should also mention that apparently Outpost Pro is an excellent firewall as well (although I've never actually used it). :)

Your pick, but either way, you're better off with a good firewall than with a good antivirus. A properly functioning firewall should basically render your antivirus/antispyware apps useless. I only do scans for viruses once a month, if that, and they always come up clean.

• Administrator

Rofl. You should really try Outpost Pro; you'll be amazed. They have improved the built in Anti-Spyware too. It actually catches stuff that WD, Ad-Aware, Spybot and ewido miss. :P

Well, I got rid of Avast, Spyware Blaster and eTrust, as they kept bogging my system down and went and re-installed PcCillin Security Suite (I get it free being a Defence member) and noticed that TrendMicro also provides a spyware detector - Trend Micro Anti-spyware.

The spyware detector worked reasonably well, in that it identified 7 more items on my system that Ewido, eTrustAV, WinDefender, Spyware Blaster and Ad-Aware didn't detect!!!!!

However, be aware that once this program has loaded it is VERY resource hungry and at one stage froze my system. After having cleaned the 7 nasties it found I deleted the program as to me it seemed buggy.

And one last thing for you Mac users, TrendMicro now has a Housecall Beta available for you, located here --> Mac Beta <- The only thing with this is that it looks like you need to register to be able to use this.

Having said that, I've been a PcCillin user for over 5 years now and have had NO problems with it, except for it being slightly resource hungry and recommend it to those, who like, like having a one-in-all package.