Windows Defender

Anyone having trouble with it? Mine will not update even after a reinstall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is reinstalling it that causes the problem.

Click Start

Click Run

Type (or copy and paste from here) Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}

Then click OK.

Then try to update Windows Defender again.

Which is not updating?  The defs or the program itself?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The definitions. And I am having browser problems. They seem to stop if I close windows defender. This whole computer is a piece of s*** I think. I am getting frustrated that I paid soooo much money for it.

I've found that the defs won't install if the service is stopped.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What service? I am confused. It doesn't take much, Tarun. I tried to update, i tried Capmans suggestion but i still have a yellow exclamation point over top of my castle icon. I am scanning as we speak. I guess i am gonna give it a whole once over and post a log.

It's the Windows Defender service listed under services.msc, and I've found through Windows Update it doesn't like to update if that service is off.  Rather annoying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay i checked that. It is set at automatic and was running. I restarted it. I still have the yellow exclamation point over my castle icon in my taskbar.

mines is saying that the defs. havent been updated in 14days. then i press check now and it says its up2date with defs and engine upgrades but it still says ! in the corner and still on the home screen of defender.

My current Defs. are 1.14.1395.2 created on the 10/04/2006.

defender version is 1.1.1347.0.

Any suggestions

uninstall product?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, sorry, i was going to hang around here but got sidetracked.

Anyway, this is what I meant:

Click Start

Click Run

Type (or copy and paste from here) Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}

Then click OK.

Then try to update Windows Defender again.

right i done that but its coming up

windows installer

are you sure you want to uninstall this product

yes no

no ok?

I also see an updated definition on windows update but i installed it and its still doing the same thing?

right i done that but its coming up

windows installer

are you sure you want to uninstall this product

yes  no

no ok?

I also see an updated definition on windows update but i installed it and its still doing the same thing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That should of been a YES JMac, it is only asking if you want to remove the definition file.

Cheers Solved the problem :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I knew it would work, I have had to do it on umpteens of machines already.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I left it alone for a couple of days and it is okay now. Maybe it was something with a server or something. Thanks for the help peeps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got updated to Defender (clicked on the update popup to see if that's what it was, then it refused to cancel once it started. Really obnoxious, I was planning to wait for more of the bugs to be worked out before getting it). I solved the not updating problem, the problem I'm having now is it doesn't run scheduled scans. At first it was because the Task Scheduler service was disabled, but I started that, set it to automatic, and got one scan to run as scheduled. it seems to forget after a reboot, though, because tonight it didn't run - Winpatrol did show it as a scheduled task, but now it doesn't. Any ideas?

After I had despaired of ever getting it to work, tonight it's working. It's back in the Scheduled Tasks list, it downloaded a signature update, and it ran a quick scan at the scheduled time. Don't know why it wasn't working yesterday, don't know why it's working now. Wonder if it will work tomorrow? :wish:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Another problem has came up for defender when i open it and im on the home screen a box appears that says:

Windows Defender encountered an error: 0x80004003. invaild pointer

Hi Guys,

Another problem has came up for defender when i open it and im on the home screen a box appears that says:

Windows Defender encountered an error: 0x80004003. invaild pointer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a bug that has not been worked out yet, it will in a future release.

The work around is to start a scan using the Scan button at the top of the Defender screen rather than using the one on the home screen.