Tried Hamachi? You should!

Zxian

So I've been using Hamachi for quite a while now. It's a program that creates a virtual network between your computers, and encrypts all traffic sent over that virtual network.

So in essence - I'm sitting here at my university, and I can browse my Windows shares at home, at full speed, and everything is encrypted.

Another nice thing about it - you can use it to easily check the status of a network of computers. If you have the latest beta installed, simply enable "Web presence" in the options, and then use the script that gamehead200 made - as seen here.

If you haven't tried it out, you should. :D

Any brief runthroughs on how to set this up in case visitors come by and get stumped?  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can help you guys with any problems you might have, since I use it a lot (or used to, Junior year is a pain).

Basically it creates a VPN, so it's like you're connected to a LAN. You can browse each other's shared folders, even use shared printer [One note though, the transfer rate can be kind of slow, averaging maybe 40 kbps].

My friends and I use it to play games - the ping is usually better than on-line games, and plus it's a lot easier to find each other in a LAN game anyway. Plus we can run Steam in offline mode and play under 1 account ;P

Our Hamachi server has been in my signature for a LONG time :D

Any brief runthroughs on how to set this up in case visitors come by and get stumped?  ;P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's very very easy.

Just install the client on the computers.

Create a network on one of them.

Join that network on the other systems and you're set.

You can now connect to other computers on the network through their Hamachi IP.

That's it! Anything that you could do over a regular LAN you can do over Hamachi. It's all 256-bit encrypted as well, so you don't have to worry about your security. :P