Update to IE7 today

Tarun

• Administrator

While there are many who may not like Internet Explorer (myself included), you should still consider upgrading. As of this post there is one known exploit for IE7, however; there are a great number of benefits to upgrading.

Remember that the IECore is integrated in with the OS. That means that there are frequent API and DLL calls. Now, what does all of this mean? Let's look at all these programs that exist that use the IE Engine. McAfee, Norton, Maxthon, the list goes on. If you view some types of help, run MS Office, MS Money or use most any HTML editor then you are indirectly using IE.

So go ahead and upgrade today. IE7 will be faster and perform better than IE6 by far.

I agree generally with the idea of what you're saying, but for those who actually use IE as their primary browser, its rubbish, and doesn't work correctly at all (at least it didn't for me) The problems were:

The Dial-Up Connection doesn't have a connect on startup option anymore - fixed by creating startup entry manually.

Slowed boot peformance dramatically. Upon installing and then rebooting, Windows reported that new hardware was found! It couldn't find this "new hardware" and then, a result it seems of this, is that when I switched on my PC, the first boot page took over a min to display to the next! - Fixed by Uninstalling IE7.

Homepage didn't work correctly. When you opened up IE7 for the first time (no mater what the homepage was, Google or whatever) after each time my PC was switched on, it would say "Finding page", and then say the page "Could not be displayed". To fix this I had to shutdown IE7 then open it up again, where it worked....

IE7 is slower than IE6. the engine itself is fast but the browser is a nightmare. it takes 1 or 2 seconds just to close a tab, it's slow at making tabs, it has a bad inteface on windows classic, and there are many more reason why it sucks.

in other words, you're better off using Avant Browser or some other IE shell.

Hmm. I actually liked IE7, and when its released as a critical update (November 1st), I will have another go at trying to use it, though until then, I shall steer clear of it.

If somebody knows how any of the problems that I couldn't fix without uninstallling IE7 could be fixed, please tell me so here.

Actually when I had my chance of testing, it was SLOW! Closing or even creating a new tab had major problems. It was slow. Almost as if they added that crappy MSN toolbar and just... tweaked it alittle. I hate IE7. The Idea for now of upgrading is rather pointless it seems. Why upgrade when you can just use... Maxthon or Avant? Both have (Best of rating) Ad and Pop-Up blockers :P Which by the way IE still (after the upgrade) doesn't support Ad-Blockers or... even an Improved Pop-up Blocker :D

Just reinstalled and tested out the FINAL. It was slow and using up too... many resourses (64,000K). The CPU usage was amazing... 100% for over 5min. and possibly could of kept goin for hours. Microsoft should really have waited alot longer and should have MADE SURE the release of IE7 was alteast near perfect (Bah... nothin is perfect so I meant 93% :P ).