ActiveX Question

This is the 2nd time this has happened otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.

I went to a website, Snopes.com to check out some email that's being passed around and I use this site often, but this time it says. ..... To help protect your security, Internet Exploreer stopped this site from installing an ActiveX control on your computer, Click here for options....

I'm not downloading anything so why this message? Course it continues to let me on the web site but this isn't normal.

Thanks

They prompt you as they want you to install some software (sometimes malware).  The only sites I allow are Microsoft.

You could always switch to Firefox and be a lot safer (and faster!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know it pops up when I'm on a site where I'm downloading, but never had it happen on sites that I normally just go to. ;)

I've never tried Firefox, where, what, how, and I guess it's safe, since I've heard alot of people use it. Is it complicated? And do I have to get rid of IE if I use firefox?

Soooooooo, will it just take the place of IE? So I'll be able to use either?

And Thanks, I'll go download it now.

Oh one more thing ( I know, always something huh? ) spybot just popped something up to see if I wanted to let this new something or other in, but it had no button to click on. Is it corrupted? The link is broken in the PC page, I went to www.download.com and that's where I downloaded this version.

Thanks

;) ok I give up, where is that on spybot? I'm running the one you told me to. And on advanced mode, I don't see where the realtime protection is anywhere :(

;):w00t::zzz: Hell I thought that was for a SPOT OF TEA!!!! Just kidding, I had no idea what the tea timer was!!! No wonder I couldn't find it!!!! *blushing* Thanks and I am running the MS Antispyware realtime scanner :P

I would say that before you start trying to tweak Firefox, you should familiarize yourself with the program. See this tutorial: http://opensourcearticles.com/firefox_15/english/part_01

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

R, I really like it so far, I especially like the TABS when you open more than one browser. ;) I'm still getting use to it. I was afraid to import all my Favs to Firefox, but it's good I can still keep IE ;)

GreenKnight, thanks, I'm checking out the tutorial now ;)

Peace

;) Slow huh guys? I'm sorry! Well, maybe you can figure this out. I'm in IE right now, I can't get on www.pogo.com anywhere, and firefox says..."THE DOCUMENT CONTAINS NO DATA" when I type in www.pogo.com

I also have this dang tool bar at the top of IE but firefox looks fine. I've not done anything yet to firefox except to download and run it. I've not had the time as of late.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo **&^*&^(% what do I do? I ran everything, none of them found anything and LOST and CSI is coming on LOL

Also there is nothing in my Add/REmove programs that have changed

Did ya want a challenge? LOL

do you want a Hijack log? doesn't look different to me either.

Yeah, HijackThis log.  Does the toolbar have a "virus scan" and search on it?

Also, I get the timeout problem with Pogo too.  Just tested.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The tool bar has " Links" "Customize Links" "Windows" "Windows Marketplace" "Windows Media" "yahoo! Bookmarks" "internet Service $9.95"

I don't know, maybe it's been there, I don't look up there often. Maybe I've had it closed until today ;) But I have been checking out firefox since it's new to me.

Thanks on the POGO thing, it must be down everywhere. I know I talk about it alot but I mainly use it to make my mind chill out LOL

Here's the Hijack log, and Thanks OH and I'm spreading the news about this forum, so I'm trying ;)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 8:16:19 PM, on 10/26/2005

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe

C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present

O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe

O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204

O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...b?1124130515984

O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll

O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe

O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe

O23 - Service: dlbt_device - Dell - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlbtcoms.exe

O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe

O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe

O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

• Administrator

Oh and Tarun, please don't get rid of these posts in here for about a week or so.  I've not had time to check out and fix firefox just yet.  Hopefully sometime Friday or next week. 

Thanks ;)

btw, I only clean up duplicates or totally off topic posts (usually I make them a new thread). ;)