Firefox 3

The biggest change they're working on is the Places bookmarks/history system, de-activated in the current nightly development builds. It needs a lot of work, which is undoubtedly why the planned release is so far off. It will store data in an SQLite database, much more stable than the current html format, which should eliminate the bookmark loss bug once and for all; it's also going to bring increased functionality, including better bookmark search, tagging, and more.

Another major change is the use of the Cairo graphics library for rendering both Web page content and the UI. This is already enabled in the development builds (badged Minefield 3.0a2, currently), and works great. Yes, Eldmannen, it is faster. :happybday:

Tarun, that's not the only tweak to reduce memory use, there are more here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_...e_%28Firefox%29

• Administrator

That's because bad web developers check and code to IE only. Whereas websites should be coded using the W3C standards. IE7 doesn't pass the Acid2 test, Firefox 2 is close. Opera does pass and Firefox 3 looks awesome. I hope it becomes beta soon :happybday:

It is as Tarun said.

This acid test, does it mean that it will make it more site compatible than IE (as in some pages don't display correctly in FF whilst in IE they do - passing acid reverse this?)?

No the acid2 test is to test if the implementations of the web-standards in the web-rendering engine in the browser (Gecko for Firefox, Trident for IE) are correct and properly conforms to the web standards, most of which are defined by the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium).

So the acid tests are for W3C standards?

Yes, it is to test if the rendering engine in the browser parses the HTML/CSS code and renders it correctly as its supposed to.

That's because bad web developers check and code to IE only. Whereas websites should be coded using the W3C standards. IE7 doesn't pass the Acid2 test, Firefox 2 is close. Opera does pass and Firefox 3 looks awesome. I hope it becomes beta soon :happybday:

Don't hold your breath, still a lot of work to be done, as you can tell by this page: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox3/Firefox_Requirements

As you can see, they're still working on the draft of the plan for what's going into Fx3. In this document, they predict a release in Q3, months earlier than the Release Roadmap I linked to in the first post; but I think the November target is more realistic.

It is as Tarun said.

This acid test, does it mean that it will make it more site compatible than IE (as in some pages don't display correctly in FF whilst in IE they do - passing acid reverse this?)?

No the acid2 test is to test if the implementations of the web-standards in the web-rendering engine in the browser (Gecko for Firefox, Trident for IE) are correct and properly conforms to the web standards, most of which are defined by the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium).

So the acid tests are for W3C standards?

Yes, it is to test if the rendering engine in the browser parses the HTML/CSS code and renders it correctly as its supposed to.

I getcha.