Questions About > Blocking Malware and Advertisements Safely

First off, should I get other users of IE on this PC to convert to Firefox? My major worries are that they will need a page that uses ActiveX, or that doesn't display properly.

In the meanwhile, I have installed IE SpyAd, but I noticed something. In order to block more Adult sites, he points to; http://www.smartin-designs.com/ But the site doesn't work anymore, does anyone have the file that was there, or an equivalent?

Finally, I am in need of a decent Ad blocker for IE. I am currently using Adblock Plus and Filterset.G Updater for Firefox, but I cannot find a decent alternative for IE, everything seems to be to ruthless, and there is no option to manually right-click and block something, nor unblock something.

Please help with the above, cheers.

• Administrator

SpywareBlaster and Spybot's Immunize are a huge help.

Getting them away from IE would be very beneficial. They would definitely love Firefox. Though I would recommend you get rid of FiltersetG as it has a lot of issues with AdBlockPlus. Conflict description.

For blocking ads in IE, there is IE7pro.

I use SpywareBlaster and Spybot's Immunize.

I think they would like it to, they don't like the new layout for IE, I'm just worried about them stumbling across a page that only displays in IE. Then again, I'm also worried that IE isn't secure enough.

I thought you used Filterset.G? You recommend it in the Blocking Malware and Advertisements Safely thread, and in other threads too. Do you use any Filter? I read some comments, a lot of people disagree about the confliction idea; https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1136/

I've tried that. Too vicious, and not like Adblock.

I dunno. I mean, a lot of people use Filterset.G, and I have never noticed a problem. I might stick with em.

Regardless, what do you think concerning below:

I think they would like it to, they don't like the new layout for IE, I'm just worried about them stumbling across a page that only displays in IE. Then again, I'm also worried that IE isn't secure enough.

Well, I force the users of my network to use Firefox. I totally hide IE. :happybday:

Ultimately it's up to you.

I do that on other peoples computers sometimes, when I know I can get away with it.

I also hide Outlook Express for them.

I do tell them, eventually, how they can carry on using them if they keep on at me, but I try not to.

@ Ultimate Predator - Firefox with IE tab installed should do the trick.

Well, I force the users of my network to use Firefox. I totally hide IE. :happybday:

Ultimately it's up to you.

I do that on other peoples computers sometimes, when I know I can get away with it.

I also hide Outlook Express for them.

I do tell them, eventually, how they can carry on using them if they keep on at me, but I try not to.

@ Ultimate Predator - Firefox with IE tab installed should do the trick.

I have that installed already, its just now a matter of teaching them.

Yes, you should try to convert the others to Firefox.

Almost no websites use ActiveX. There are like few sites like Windows Update only who use it. Any other site that use it is most likely for malicious purposes.

Why even bother looking for adblocker for IE and not just Firefox all the time?

I use Firefox all the time with Adblock extension, the only thing I use IE for is Windows Update.

Yes, you should try to convert the others to Firefox.

Almost no websites use ActiveX. There are like few sites like Windows Update only who use it. Any other site that use it is most likely for malicious purposes.

Why even bother looking for adblocker for IE and not just Firefox all the time?

I use Firefox all the time with Adblock extension, the only thing I use IE for is Windows Update.

I agree what you said about just using Firefox. Maybe I'll convert them soon.

For dumb people who gets confused because it has different icons, there are IE skins for Firefox so that it looks just like IE.

Dumb people? Pretty offensive. I know anyways.

Well, let me rephrase it with the politically correct term; "computer illiterate people". People like my mom who gets very confused when things are slightly different, for those people if the icons are the same, then it might be easier for them.

Did a quick search and found this; https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3984/