Windows 2003 Server vs Windows XP?

Eldmannen

Windows 2003 Server (NT 5.2) is newer than Windows XP (NT 5.1).

Windows 2003 Server while meant to be run on a server, can be configured to work like a desktop OS via following guides available on the Internet.

So how does Windows 2003 Server compare against Windows XP Professional?

Which is better as a desktop OS?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say.....

D'uh... probably the program designed as a desktop OS seeing it seems to be a 'load and forget' without having to scour the net for 'guides' to make a SERVER program into a desktop one........

And furthermore, it's a HUGE .1 version better.... if it were ver 2.0 or better then maybe it'd be a consideration.... but then again not, seeing it's specifically aimed at SERVERs

Am I being too cynical or are some people just stupid straight up?.......

I'd say XP Pro would be better, sure it's a .1 version upgrade but the only real upgrades i see are all server stuff (which makes sense.. lol).. but if microsoft ever released a patch that removes this "server to workstation guide" then you'd be screwed on it.. or would have to find out which patch did it, then never install that patch.

XP Pro you'd have a Workstation comp, without having to deal with guides, and could update as you wish on microsofts' site with no worries about patches... (except WGA if you're like me and avoid that like the plauge).

• 1 month later...

Actually the Server Edition is just more based on networking and it provides better protection. It's possible to turn the Server Edition into a Desktop OS. I've seen this happen but I think my friend ran into some major errors.

Archived