Opera vs Firefox

SenutyEnool

G'day folks,

was just after some clarification from you FF officiando's.

From what I've read here and on other forums is that FF's mem sig is way smaller than anything out there (I only mean the major browsers) and faster and better, yada, yada, yada.....

If this is the case can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong (or right) to have Opera use less resources than FF? (see image)

The top part is both browsers loaded, with no page displayed. The bottom shows both browsers with Lunarsoft loaded.

Unless my eyesights failing, it seems as though Opera has a lower mem sig than FF. ;)

Oh, and for comparison, neither browsers have plug-ins.

Soooo, any explanation would be appreciated as I'm trying to get the best resource usage browser, thereby freeing up resources for game play.

Cheers ;)

Firefox can use tons of memory, but it's supposed to release memory if it's needed by another app. It's not that significant, CPU usage is more important.

There's a long-standing bug in Firefox, too, for many users mem usage keeps rising as long as the browser's open. This is mostly a problem for the fools who leave it open for days at a time. Simply minimizing for a couple seconds would release the extra memory, but this still inspires a lot of griping.

Memory management is improved in 1.5, at least it had better be; they've deleted the trim_on_minimize feature. Supposedly you can manually add it in about:config, but I tried that, and it doesn't seem to work.

Firefox pretty much sucks (imho), but it is still better than IE (and that's about it).  Your memory usage is correct.  Firefox will always use more memory than most browsers (even IE).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm, wouldn't go so far to say it sucks, however, it doesn't seem to have the functionality that I've found within Opera.

Fairly hard to explain, but I'll give it a whirl.

In Opera you have to ability to click 'Forward' (for want of a better word) within the page/site without having to click on individual links/images by use of an inbuilt button. I mainly use this with images as it saves having to click on each one to view them. Once I get out from behind this firewall I'll post an image to show what I mean (picture tells a thousand words ;) ).

I have not found this functionality within FF (the main one that drew me to Opera) amongst others and having discovered that it uses less resources I'm going to stick with it for the time being.

I only now use IE for critical updates as it's not Opera supported.

Cheers ;)

I tested Opera not to long ago and I found that it uses way too much Memory. I now use FireFox and am happy with the results. I use the Simpler Blue v0.1 Theme. I have others but I like this one. The Extensions are Adblock and Imagepref.

Screenshot.....

desktop1yy.th.jpg

I tested Opera not to long ago and I found that it uses way too much Memory. I now use FireFox and am happy with the results.  I use the Simpler Blue v0.1 Theme. I have others but I like this one.  The Extensions are Adblock and Imagepref.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, seems there's conflicting information coming out about mem usage between Opera and FF. As per my testing, Opera seems to use less memory but you folk are now telling me that FF actually uses less.

With the above in mind, are there any quick and nasty setups that I should use for FF to use less mem than what it currently seems to suck up on my system?

Yes, I realise I could wander on over to FF forums, but I thought I'd consult the experts/users on this forum to avoid wading through a plethora (my big word for the day ;) ) of posts.

So, all info/help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers ;)

Hmm, seems there's conflicting information coming out about mem usage between Opera and FF.  As per my testing, Opera seems to use less memory but you folk are now telling me that FF actually uses less.

With the above in mind, are there any quick and nasty setups that I should use for FF to use less mem than what it currently seems to suck up on my system?

Yes, I realise I could wander on over to FF forums, but I thought I'd consult the experts/users on this forum to avoid wading through a plethora (my big word for the day  ;) ) of posts.

So, all info/help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since I went back to FireFox I'm having no problems. even if it uses more memory I really don't care at all. It's just a browser that has good protection. If you want a browser that uses less memory then move on to Maxthon. A IE based browser that has many features and great skins. The plug-Ins are rather useless to me but some like Adblock and stuff is good. I used it for awhile and loved it. But since FireFox has those Plug-Ins and Skins I thought Heck, Why not switch back ;) But in all I think Maxthon is the best of choice. I'm using FireFox though.

Heh,

I used to run Maxthon, but seeing it's built on the IE platform and all the issues/problems that entails ;) I moved on over to Opera (after having tried FFox) as it has the functionalities that I was after.

So, at this stage I'll stick to Opera unless someone can give me some real good pros/cons why I should move over to FFox.

And I do realise it mostly is a matter of choice, but if FFox is ultimately better than Opera I'm more than willing to make the change.

Cheers ;)

Heh,

I used to run Maxthon, but seeing it's built on the IE platform and all the issues/problems that entails ;) I moved on over to Opera (after having tried FFox) as it has the functionalities that I was after.

So, at this stage I'll stick to Opera unless someone can give me some real good pros/cons why I should move over to FFox. 

And I do realise it mostly is a matter of choice, but if FFox is ultimately better than Opera I'm more than willing to make the change.

Cheers ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is really no differance between Opera and FireFox to me :eyeroll:

Both of them have their own Pro and Con...so it about the same...if u need a browser that use little memory resources...than it would be K-Meleon...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O.. yes. I tried that one and it seemed good. But is it based on FireFox?

O.. yes. I tried that one and it seemed good. But is it based on FireFox?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Both of them use the same render engine...but K-Meleon is release earlier than Firefox...

*I did my own testing i realise...Opera take up more memory than Firefox (I Uninstall Firefox while testing out)...