cannot delete software

hazelnut

Downloaded Shareaza the otherday. However today had a problem in that the desktop shortcut wouldn't work. Went to start-progs, still no start. Decided to uninstall. Did it from it's uninstaller. It went, but in the C/drive programme files Shareaza.exe 3.70mb is still there and will not delete.

It says access denied, full or write protected or file may be in use.

Any help would be welcome.

G'day Hazelnut,

another to try (waits for the huge howls of protest) is KazaaLite.

The Lite version (if you get the correct one, forget which) has no spy/malware and is VERY popular allowing you to get heaps, and I mean heaps, of stuff that you might be looking for.

Another option if you're after a P2P program is change to bit torrent.

In essence, with using bit torrent, instead of downloading from one source, you get your file/s (or 'bits' of it) from all other users who have the file you're looking for.

This does away with interrupted downloads when the other user (on KL) closes their system off. With torrents, if one 'peer' drops off, you can still download the file/s from another peer without waiting for the original source (in KL) to log back on.

I'm sure someone else could probably explain this a bit easier, but in essence, torrent is better and achieves the same thing with less hassle.

Cheers :hello:

Move over to safe soulseek;

Site: http://www.slsknet.org

Direct Safe Download: http://files.slsknet.org/slsk156c.exe

Really good, and you can download WHOLE albums in one go, not all the songs in one continous file playing, but seperate songs in one folder.

Another person had a probelm with their WinMX, they eventually moved over to soulseek, and they like it;

http://www.ccleaner.com/index.php?showtopic=2931

Looked at Arachnid but its only free for 7 goes.

Tried Senuty's Kazza lite but MSAS didn't like it one bit!!

So I'm giving Shareaza (the free one ) another go. I like the interface. and am keeping my fingers crossed this time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

G'day Hazelnut,

Hmmm, are you sure you got the "Lite" version (exact version escapes me at the moment) as I had it running happily with MSAS. Sounds like you might have gotten one of the 'newer' versions of Lite which is infected with mal/adware.

Anyways, good luck with Safe Soulseek.

Question for you Ultimate Predator,

is Safe Soulseek set up on the lines of Kazaa (and it's equivalents) in that you only download whole files, or is it a bit torrent app?

Reason I ask is because I've gone away from Kazaa and now only use torrents, which after some simple testing is way faster and more reliable than Kazaa (and it's equivalents).

Cheers :hello:

Emule comes with the spyware BearShare, which cannot be removed unless the program is.

Yes, like Kazaa, but a lot safer, and easier to use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm, I currently have Emule and ran my security checks before loading. Didn't find anything nasty within it and still have not found anything since relating to BearShare.

Okay, so it's not a torrent app then. Oh well, I'll have to stick with BitLord then.

And thanks for the info :hello:

Cheers :D

I use emule for my psp needs.  I have never received a corrupt file or virus.  it takes longer for downloads, but they have a huge selection of options and everything i have ever needed was found there. punk.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bearshare spyware? I have ran about a half dozen different anti spyware programs and have never found anything called bearshare. what is it? Does it affect anything? I use emule pretty much every day, and i just ran my anti spyware apps, and there was nothing found. Are you sure it comes with bearshare spyware? :(

Update:

"Bearshare Lite (Doesn't install any spyware but has language in the license saying that Save! adware will be installed. Not sure how to classify this. It also changed my Windows theme when I removed it!) "

I'll stick with Soulseek then. As much as the say that Limewire is only effected in the older versions, the newest version screws around with your Windows Media settings. an error message came up everythime I opened up my playlists, I had to restore my PC and then do yet another 3 restarts!

A friend of mine reports that DC++ is excellent, and Shareaza has also been highly recommended.

I took a look at soulseek and even joined their forums. I may give it a go after checking out their forums and reading a bit more about it. Your post was the first i had ever heard of it.

So what is the final verdict on emule? I dont want to have spyware, but i have been very happy with emule. Anyone?

Well, I can't say for sure. I know this, there are registry values that are either identical or or more likely shared with BearShare, which as above you can see can cause problems.

I had Emule on my PC till I found out about BearShare, and even though it didn't cause any problems at the time, nor when I un-installed it, I personally wouldn't have anything on my PC that could cause a problem. What it comes down to is do you want to take a slight risk (which could turn big), or be safe?