Analysis and upgrade of windows vista security - video

• Administrator

Leo and Steve Gibson look at Vista.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZYzWvm_MM

I actually think Steve does a great job of proving that he knows very little about computer software and he cannot be a reliable or credible source. He says Windows Defender is an "anti-virus". I just thought that was pathetic. A little basic research will show you it is anti-spyware. For confirmation you can check Wikipedia. Another thing Gibson said was that 64bit Windows was more secure because of the drivers being a clean start... It makes me wonder how people can consider a person of his "intelligence" to be a reliable source.

Gibson Research Corporation*

Many people criticize Steve Gibson because he is quite annoying. He have some marketing background, so he tend to overhype things, and describe things using buzzwords and prefix things with "super", "hyper", "extreme", "ultra", etc. Like his fancy naming of stuff like "Perfect Passwords" (lol) and "GRC's Ultra High Security Password Generator" (lol). :D

He have made some quick, simple and useful tools though.

The video brought up some interesting things though.

They mentioned there were so many editions of Vista. That is annoying, with Home Basic, Home Pro, Business, Ultimate, and so many.

Instead of have so confusingly many editions and try to up-sell to milk money from customers.

ASLR is something OpenBSD have had for years...

The PatchGuard (kernel patch protection) is an interesting feature, but anti-virus company bitched a lot about it.

UAC (User Access Control) in Vista is a good idea, but unfortunately its a rather poor implementation which tend to annoy the user all the time. UAC is a good idea, but has gotten lots of criticism, but with some changes, in the future, it may be good because the idea behind it is good.

An interesting thing is that Microsoft have patented the ideas behind UAC, even though they took the idea from 'sudo' which have existed in Unix-like operating systems since forever.

BitLocker is a good idea too, its a good idea to make it easier for people to keep their data safe. Too bad its only available some editions.

• Administrator

They mentioned there were so many editions of Vista. That is annoying, with Home Basic, Home Pro, Business, Ultimate, and so many.

Instead of have so confusingly many editions and try to up-sell to milk money from customers.

It's annoying that there are a maximum of five (technically six if you count Starter) versions? Windows XP had Home and Pro (along with Starter) at release. It now has more versions than Windows Vista.

Vista: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista...ons_and_pricing

XP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

And look at the hundreds of different versions of Linux. Now that is what I would say is annoying. :D

It's annoying that there are a maximum of five (technically six if you count Starter) versions? Windows XP had Home and Pro (along with Starter) at release. It now has more versions than Windows Vista.

Vista: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista...ons_and_pricing

XP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

And look at the hundreds of different versions of Linux. Now that is what I would say is annoying. :D

Oh, thought there were like 8-10 versions of Vista. But there are "only" five.

Same with the Windows Server, there are tons of editions there too.

All editions are basically the same thing anyways, except that they are more or less crippled versions of the better version that has more features.

So you have to pay more to get more features.

I would prefer it, if there was only one Vista which was Ultimate. So they had "Windows" and "Windows Server".

Like Apple, they don't have many editions, they just have Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server.

With Linux, they are not editions, they are distributions with different goals, ideas and target audience.

In Windows they are editions, where the cheaper edition is crippled with less features.

In Linux, example Gentoo is targeted to nerds, and Ubuntu to mass. They are different distributions, not a crippled edition of the real thing (Vista Ultimate).

• 2 months later...

all i hear is blah blah blah coming from that video. Vista is far the worst that also including Windows ME. Vista requires so much to run. it's not that different from Xp. all the new GUI tweaks are useless and the new search crap and new shortcuts is BS! all over. i hate what Microsoft has become. stay with Xp for the next year or so people.

Service Pack 1 for Vista helps dramatically.
i've heard good things going for SP1 for Vista. we'll just have to wait and see. i'll upgrade to vista once i'm ready for it. far as Computer upgrade goes. all i need is more RAM, possibly a bigger HDD and a faster CPU. yes, and maybe on top of all that a better Graphics Card and a new Motherboard.

in all though is the new shortcuts and new GUI look necessary? just makes new users and current users confused like myself. took me awhile to figure out how to network a Notebook.

Well, my laptop has Vista Home Premium, has 1 gig of RAM, 120 GB hdd, and I think its 2.2 GHZ (currently using my home PC). I would say that the only thing it could possibly need is RAM.

As for my home PC, its a tuned up XP Home, with only 512 RAM, 40 GB HDD, and 1.8 GHZ, and it runs just as well as my laptop, so Vista certanily does suck resources, but hopefully with SP 1, and fairly good specs like my laptop, its fine, any lower specs, I wouldn't recommend it.