New Frontpage Software

• Administrator

Our frontpage is going to be offline though the forums shall remain online. I am in the process of converting our frontpage to a new software that is more flexible, robust and better supported.

Both the forums and wiki will be available.

• Administrator

For now there is no connection between the frontpage and the forums, though I will integrate a bridge for the two as soon as it becomes available. Currently we're on Joomla RC4 and the integration script from BBPixel is not yet ready for 1.5.

• Administrator

Oh, I see. How long before its finished?

Unfortunately I do not know how long it will be until they finish. From what I understand it has been about a year long in development. Considering it's in the RC4 stage I would think they're ready to submit the final build or make RC4 as final soon.

The link to the forums works, that's the main thing. You gotta expect a few bugs...

It does look really good. :D

I agree, I liked the theme and I have someone working on one that is similar but with slightly different colors. No major changes, just a more Web 2.0 color themed. The forums will be the same but it takes a lot longer to make a theme for the forums.

• Administrator

I'm waiting for a response from them. They said the plugin would be released when Joomla 1.5 went live.

Direct quote:

We have plugin for Joomla 1.5x rc4 and IPB 2.3.4. Plugin is a beta version and use for dev site.

When Joomla 1.5 final version release, we will publish our product too.

Kind regards,

The plugin has been released as GNU GPL, but they are charging for the download. I'll see what I can do.

Just to clear this up for people who might be reading this.

The GNU General Public License (GNU GPL) is a free software license, which means that is open source software.

They are allowed to sell GPL software, and are not required to distribute it free-of-charge.

However anyone who gets a hold of a GPL software may freely distribute it to anyone free-of-charge.

Example, MySQL is dual-licensed under a commercial-proprietary license and the GPL. Which means that anyone can download it and use it for free, but people can optionally pay for the commercial version to get support.

Example, PHP-Nuke charges for the latest-version, but always offers the previous version free-of-charge.

Example, XChat is free for all operating systems except Windows. Due to it takes effort to port it, the Windows version must be payed for. People are however free to download the source, compile it themselves, and there are unofficial websites where people can download the Windows version for free.

Hopefully you are able to find the plugin on some unofficial website somewhere.

The GNU GPL follows the Free Software definition;

• Freedom 0: The freedom to run the program for any purpose.
  • Freedom 1: The freedom to study and modify the program.
  • Freedom 2: The freedom to copy the program so you can help your neighbor.
  • Freedom 3: The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits.

Not very free IMO.

"Free software is a matter of liberty not price." -- as stated on fsf.org

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/selling.html

"When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for them if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs, and that you know you can do these things." -- in the Preamble of the GNU General Public License

"You may charge any price or no price for each copy that you convey, and you may offer support or warranty protection for a fee." -- Section 4. Conveying Verbatim Copies, of the GNU General Public License

I would prefer if it were available free-of-charge to download too.