• Administrator

BlackViper recommends changing your service settings from the defaults. It causes more problems than it's worth and doesn't give any benefits. Those service tweaks have been debunked too. :D

• Administrator

Idle RAM is wasted RAM as they say. You really don't gain any benefits from disabling services. Even I used to disable and alter services but that was long ago and I realized it's just not worth it at all. If you're that hard pressed to try and get a few extra KB/MB of RAM freed, you're better off putting another stick of RAM into your system. RAM now-a-days is very affordable.

• Administrator

The best way is to check with your manufacturer for documentation. You usually have to take off a certain panel on the bottom and it will have a small RAM chip picture near it.

• Administrator

Those are the benefits they want you to believe, though they are not true. Even if you look at the Task Manager you will see that idle processes take up little to no CPU (0-1%) and Mem Usage is generally under 10-30MB for one or two processes and the rest are under 5MB each for the majority of them. Considering most systems have 512MB+ of RAM, 10-30MB by one or two processes is nothing.

Edited by Tarun
Clarified my statements.

Those are the benefits they want you to believe, though they are not true. Even if you look at the Task Manager you will see that idle processes take up little to no CPU (0-1%) and Mem Usage is generally under 20-30k. Considering most systems have 512MB+ of RAM, 20-30k by one or two processes is nothing.

20-30k?

rundll32.exe		 - 3096 K

alg.exe			  - 3520 K

svchost.exe		  - 3536 K

svchost.exe		  - 3344 K

svchost.exe		  - 24840 K

svchost.exe		  - 3608 K

svchost.exe		  - 4940 K

lsass.exe			- 1088 K

services.exe		 - 3224 K

winlogon.exe		 - 5452 K

csrss.exe			- 4128 K

smss.exe			 - 388 K

System			   - 236 K

System Idle Process  - 28 K

TOTAL: 61428 K

Those are the benefits they want you to believe, though they are not true. Even if you look at the Task Manager you will see that idle processes take up little to no CPU (0-1%) and Mem Usage is generally under 20-30k. Considering most systems have 512MB+ of RAM, 20-30k by one or two processes it nothing.

20-30k?

rundll32.exe		 - 3096 K

alg.exe			  - 3520 K

svchost.exe		  - 3536 K

svchost.exe		  - 3344 K

svchost.exe		  - 24840 K

svchost.exe		  - 3608 K

svchost.exe		  - 4940 K

lsass.exe			- 1088 K

services.exe		 - 3224 K

winlogon.exe		 - 5452 K

csrss.exe			- 4128 K

smss.exe			 - 388 K

System			   - 236 K

System Idle Process  - 28 K

TOTAL: 61428 K

Ditto.

• Administrator

Towards the end of my post I commented on how there are one to two that are 20-30 though the K was a typo.

From your total that would be about 61MB, which is not much considering how systems are now-a-days.

zomg 61megs! and a couple percent taken off your cpu if you're lucky.. not to mention making your operating system less usable.

I used to disable services, run various tweaks, but in the end it didn't really benefit me much.. and if disabling services and running tweaks is noticeable.. its probably time to get a new comp.

The post where I listed the processes, was just to prove the point about the 20-30k statement.

I agree that 61 megabyte is not much, me myself do have 4 gigabyte of RAM.

But then again, we nerds are known to tweak our systems by slimming down the operating system, tweaking the BIOS settings, and sometimes even overclock. :D

And it is more compelling for people with low-end systems. Windows XP on 256 mb RAM or less isn't pleasant. Finding RAM for old computers can be difficult, and expensive.

It is probably true though, that disabling services is not likely to yield any significant improvements.

The post where I listed the processes, was just to prove the point about the 20-30k statement.

I agree that 61 megabyte is not much, me myself do have 4 gigabyte of RAM.

But then again, we nerds are known to tweak our systems by slimming down the operating system, tweaking the BIOS settings, and sometimes even overclock. :D

And it is more compelling for people with low-end systems. Windows XP on 256 mb RAM or less isn't pleasant. Finding RAM for old computers can be difficult, and expensive.

It is probably true though, that disabling services is not likely to yield any significant improvements.

Indeed. I have Vista, with 768 RAM (rest taken by graphics), so disabling as many services as possible and disabling Aero helped a lot.