going crazy deciding

RTZ

i have a few questions im using online armor and avira but i want to try avast and comodo but will performance sufferand are they better . also a friend had zonealrm with antivirus and he told me the size of the program is only 8.62 mb and when i total up avira pe premium and online armor free its over 72 mb why is zone alarm with antivirus so tiny can someone clarify this please and would i be better off with avast and comodothe comodo screens of interface look great and easy and some people say it prompts the heck out of you is there a begininer setting where it learns your system thanks

ok i made a split decision i m using Avira Personal Edition Premium AND Comodo seems Comodo is less intrusive and offers way better features and protection then the Online Armor Free.

I don't know the reason in this particular case why there is such a size difference, but a possible explanation is that some software are made to be good.

While other software are made by dumbs who make it huge, slow and bloaty, and include useless functionality such as custom skins which eats resources and decrease usability. They may also come with bundled software and shovelware junk that they shovel on you. Often they run in the background all the time and place icons in the systray and run several background processes.

Good programmers know that "less is more", and may go for a minimalistic approach without bloat and clutter. Good programmers also know that "small is beautiful".

They don't realize that they should make good software, so instead they make it some dumb skin to make it look pretty (result is, it looks ugly, gets slow and usability gets decreased), so that people will think its pretty and it will sell.

An example is Symantec/Norton who are notorious for making junk.

ok thank you for the reply. i think i made a sound choice going away from online armor to comodo online armor was driving me nuts over and over prompts to allow or not on all the programs i had been running over and over it was ridiculous comodo seems to be better at recognizing rules you set and what it knows your running program wise so ill try this it seems to be a keeper

• Administrator

I've been a fan of avast for a few years now. It works wonderfully. Since you paid for Avira, I'd use it. It's one of the better antivirus softwares out there.

As far as Comodo goes, I just install the firewall and don't bother with Defense+. I personally have no need for it.

the advice here is excellent. im sure glad i clicked on your button a the other forum and found it people here are really helpful especially to us novices. BRAVO!! TO ALL YOU TECH WIZARDS

the advice here is excellent. im sure glad i clicked on your button a the other forum and found it people here are really helpful especially to us novices. BRAVO!! TO ALL YOU TECH WIZARDS

Mwuahahahahahah!

Don't be so joyful yet, the bill is in the mail and it's gonna hurt!

Nah, just gaggin'

Cheers :hmm:

Another reason that can explain the difference in size.

In some companies, the programmers gets payed by source lines of code they write. Now they could write short, effective code, or they could write long silly code and get more money. :wave:

Then we have the upper management problem. Some old guy who studied business administration or something gets a position with a fancy title like Chief Technical Officer, you would think he knows about computers, but he don't know s***. He thinks he knows the best though, so he tell the programmers what to do.

I don't recall the name, but there is a major mobile phone company (Motorola or Sony Ericsson, I think) where the CEO / President is an old guy who doesn't even mobile phone. He don't like gizmo gadget thingymabobs. :D '

They like to refer to software as products, and users as customers, and speak about "adding value to the products" with useless bloat. They love to talk about value and revenue.

Then there are the "Our stockholders want more money! Lets add advertisements into our products to increase the revenue". So they add adware to please the stockholders.

Then we got companies which sell software, but its difficult to sell a new version of the software if it only has bug fixes, security updates, stability updates, more performance, etc. To sell it, they keep adding new useless features just to have something "new", so it doesn't seem like its the same as the old version.

There are many software which used to be decent, but with every new version, it just got worse and worse. Example ICQ, MSN, etc.

just like everything people are greedy these corporate giants really forget their mission statement but your explanation is good. i concur it does seem the more they update programs sometimes they actually degrade them. and SenutyEnool i have been peeking out my front window and all doors and windows locked including XP hehehehe and I have stopped all mail delivery and discontinued all email services so as to hid from the big bill hahahahahahah YOUR TOO MUCH AND HAVE GOOD SENSE OF HUMOR