UXTheme Patch for Service Pack 3 (SP3)

Tarun

• Administrator

Everyone loves to use custom themes for their Windows installation. Now that Service Pack 3 is available many users have started updating their system. The UXTheme.dll file gets updated in Service Pack 3, so if you have patched it in SP2 you lose your custom themes.

But thanks to damian666 you won't lose your themes anymore! damian666 has released a patch for Service Pack 3 that automates the patching process of the UXTheme.dll file.

Caution Some parts of this patcher do not verify that the patch changes have been applied. This patch is currently under review. Please use at your own risk!

Download: UXTheme Patch for Windows XP Service Pack 3

• Administrator

Browse to your C:\Windows\System32\ directory and view ntdll.dll. Check the version tab and it should show 6.0.2600.5512.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I tried using this file and after restarting my computer, it seems that the patch killed something in my System. The error doesn't stay up for long (and sometimes doesn't show up at all) but when it does it mentions something about not being able to find SP.dll. At least I think. Like I said, I've only seen an error once, and most of the time I can move my mouse for a few seconds (nothing else has loaded) before it freezes and goes into another rolling restart.

I checked my version, and it was one that was a little later than the one recommended. Probably my fault for leaping before I looked I guess.

Anyone know of a way to fix this that isn't a full system restore? If I have to restore it's not the end of the world, I guess. Just a pain in the a**.

edit: Spnet Res.dll not found is what the error says when I get it.

luckely for you, there is, a backup is created in the system32 folder.

go into safe mode, and replaced your patched version with the old one ^^

damian666

Yeah, I'm posting from the now fixed computer now. :D Still looking for a way to get my old custom themes back on SP3 though. :(

damian666

do you verify the file version or anything about the file first? tried it on my VM and had the same problems as Jerott. after looking at the comparison it patched:

0x00000140 - 0x00000142 with "48 BB 03"

and...

0x00019A9C- 0x00019AA3 with "33 F6 8B C6 C9 C2 08 00"

this was with uxtheme.dll 6.0.2900.2180 (SP2), replaced it with the backup and went to SP3 (6.0.2900.5512) and it patched successfully.. So it should verify this before patching imo, since different versions will have different offsets and different patches.

well... not to be a a**...

but what does this title say :D

patch for SP3, i mean, i dont have to spell it, right? :D

Damian666

8we2kg.png

:D

:D:Dgeek.png

err... whoops?

i am so getting that out of there... >.<

Damian666

looks like i messed up my links, when i use it, i get one that says sp2/sp3, but on my project itself

i have a version that says sp3 ONLY...

i mean... WTF dizzy.png

Damian666

EDIT: ok updated the link stuff, can ya test it for me now?

I wonder why third-party patching is needed, and why Microsoft wont let you use custom third-party themes by default.

dunno it's pretty lame though considering only signed themes are allowed, yet microsoft has yet to release any... well there was one that was leaked but thats beyond the point.

looks like i messed up my links, when i use it, i get one that says sp2/sp3, but on my project itself

i have a version that says sp3 ONLY...

i mean... WTF

Damian666

lol.

• Administrator

I'm surprised this even opens on Vista, let alone allows the Patch button to be enabled...

Any word on Synapse's question about verifying if the patch was successful?

Reference:

damian666

do you verify the file version or anything about the file first? tried it on my VM and had the same problems as Jerott. after looking at the comparison it patched:

and...

this was with uxtheme.dll 6.0.2900.2180 (SP2), replaced it with the backup and went to SP3 (6.0.2900.5512) and it patched successfully.. So it should verify this before patching imo, since different versions will have different offsets and different patches.

well, as i said, it SHOULD work now...

and i dont knwo what your meaning there Tarun, but i cant run it on my vista, it shutsdown when

no SP3 is found...

i guess i should add some more stuff in it...

Damian666

• Administrator

and i dont knwo what your meaning there Tarun, but i cant run it on my vista, it shutsdown when no SP3 is found...

Here's what I mean:

With the OS not being compatible it shouldn't be allowed to open, or the Patch button should be disabled so that a user cannot click it.

I also edited my previous post to include Synapse's question about verification. I'd really like to see that answered.

I'm surprised this even opens on Vista, let alone allows the Patch button to be enabled...

Any word on Synapse's question about verifying if the patch was successful?

Reference:

damian666

and...

thats why the check for SP3 is there.

if your on SP3, you wont have the SP2 version ofcourse :D

Damian666

damn... our posts got crossed posted there...

i see what ya mean, you CAN open it... O.o

back to the codeboard...

• Administrator

Thanks for addressing the Vista issue. :D

You may want to have a verification after patching and a way to let users know whether it was successful or not when patching. I've had a few instances where it took several tries to patch the UXTheme.dll file. One user had to do a System Restore it got so messy.

Archived