yer not gonna believe this one

I posted this on another forum and just copied it here, so I wouldn't have to type it over.

OK, so I want to order a new computer from the factory, a really good one. I call the factory’s on-line store and place the order with my debit card. The order bounces about 3 times for stupid stuff, like the last number of the zip in my billing address doesn’t match what the bank has. After several calls to a very nice young lady in their “Sales Recovery” department, the order gets accepted. Get a confirmation e-mail notifying me of this fact and it list the specs of the computer I ordered, which are wrong. The order had been through several hands and someone forgot to change the OS from the default choice to the one I wanted. Great. It’s 8:00 PM and the girl I’ve been dealing with has gone home so I call customer service. They tell me that an order can’t be changed after it goes to the factory but they can cancel it. Fine…..cancel it and I’ll reorder in the morning. The next day, I call the girl in “Sales Recovery” and tell her what happened. She admits to being the culprit and apologizes for the mistake. She places a new order and thanks me for being so patient. I get the e-mail confirmation that night and everything looks right. The seller gets a preauthorization from my bank for the amount of the purchase. The seller finalizes the transaction and the banks transfers the funds. Badda bing…badda boom….I get my new computer in 5 days, as ordered. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and all is right in the world.

Three weeks later, ……….oh crap.

It seems that when I canceled the order for the computer that had the wrong OS, the seller had gotten the preauthorization for the charge but hadn’t completed the transaction. It’s the end of the month and I guess somebody at the factory was going over the sales for that month and found the preauthorization, so they completed it, with out checking the status of the order, which was CANCELED.

I check my bank account the next day, prior to depositing my pay check, and I find that I’m overdrawn, big time. It takes less than a minute to find out that I’ve been charged for my computer, again. I call “Sale Recovery” and the girl goes nuts, she can’t believe that someone had done this. We go in circles for about a week and she finally takes the matter up with the finance committee, in person. She gets them to push it to the top of their list. The next day, I get the full amount credited back to my bank account, plus an extra $100 to cover overdraft my fees, which only amounted to $42.

OK…..that’s it……were done……yeah, right.

A week later, I check my bank account and now it’s showing way more money than it should. I check further and you guessed it, they credited my account, again, for the full price of the computer. This is starting to look like The Marx Brothers meet The Keystone Cops. I call “SR” and tell the girl about it, she’s laughing almost as hard as I am, and says she’ll see what she can do. After a week with no response, I call again and says she’ll see what the hang-up is. A few days later, I get an e-mail from her saying that she turned it over to a supervisor in the finance department, who’ll be contacting me. I give it a month and send her a e-mail saying that I haven’t heard from the supervisor. She responds saying that HER supervisor said that it looked like they can’t take the money back after they gave it to me. Well…..Wild Turkey Federation. She says for me to e-mail the supervisor, in finance, and tell her that if I didn’t hear something soon that I was going to assume that they have given me a free computer. I sent her an e-mail 3 weeks ago and have heard nada, zip, bumpkus.

What the hell am I gonna do with $1,200?

• Administrator

I'd hold onto it for a bit longer just to be safe.

What computer company was this that put you through so much grief, and ended up leaving you as a very happy customer? :)

I'd hold onto it for a bit longer just to be safe.

What computer company was this that put you through so much grief, and ended up leaving you as a very happy customer? :)

It was HP. Kinda makes me wish I had ordered one of their $7,000 Voodoo-based Blackbirds.

Great story!

I didn't think a big company such as HP would be so messy and crappy. I would have thought they had some more professionalism than that.

Started out as a nightmare. I have read many horror stories about customers dealing with crappy companies and being treated very poorly and not being able to get broken stuff repaired, etc. I am glad to read for once it ended with the customer not getting screwed. :)

Well, its their loss, due to their lack of professionalism.

If I were you, I would not try to get in contact with them. You do not have a problem, you are satisfied. If they gave you money, thats their problem, not yours. If they wish to rectify it, they should contact you.

Hold on to the money for a while, just in case...

Great story!

I didn't think a big company such as HP would be so messy and crappy. I would have thought they had some more professionalism than that.

Started out as a nightmare. I have read many horror stories about customers dealing with crappy companies and being treated very poorly and not being able to get broken stuff repaired, etc. I am glad to read for once it ended with the customer not getting screwed. :)

Well, its their loss, due to their lack of professionalism.

If I were you, I would not try to get in contact with them. You do not have a problem, you are satisfied. If they gave you money, thats their problem, not yours. If they wish to rectify it, they should contact you.

Hold on to the money for a while, just in case...

It's gonna set in my savings account for a year. After that, I figure all bets are off. If they want it, all they gotta do is tell me where to send it.