Problem uninstalling Service Pack 3

jpetrovick

I'm trying to repair my IE-6 by uninstalling a possibly corrupted SP-3, and I can't figure out why my XP box won't let me. It's listed in my Control Panel add/remove programs list, but when I try to remove it, the Software Update Removal Wizard goes through its routine, then ultimately ends up with 2 messages that say "The System Cannot Find The File Specified" and "Service Pack 3 was Not Uninstalled". Belarc says its there, and System Properties says its there. I tried 3 options suggested by the Microsoft Support site (including the "hidden $NTServicPackUninstall$folder"), and all 3 options ended with the same "Cannot Find The File" message. Dial-A-Fix tools hasn't been successful in Repairing/Reinstalling IE, my computer is apparently clean of all Malware, and all updates are current. Can I reinstall SP-3 without uninstalling the earlier program? Also, my System Restore lost its ability to go back to the day when I installed SP-3 (a couple weeks ago). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Question: UPHClean was installed about the same time my box started acting up - can this be related?? At present, the only way I can access the net is via Firefox.

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed a related problem on a friends' system a while back.

The culprit? Norton. (In their case, it was Norton 360.)

Had to uninstall the AV and run the removal tool before I could uninstall SP3, and reinstall it properly,(the original auto-update install was totally borked) then re-installed Norton 360. (Which wouldn't have been my choice, BTW.)

Maybe you should have a look at your AV quarantine?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Because it's just as bad as Norton is. A bloated, resource hog.

I agree - When I tried to remove it this forum gave me the good links to a remover -

I was not able to use any other method except the tool I was given -

Same with PC tools Spyware Doctor - It would not remove but we finally 'disabled' it -

Archived