Interesting question

I believe that more than 100 years ago some questions were asked on the following subject.

If a person who was blind was taught to identify cubes and spheres by touch alone, would that same person, if he regained his sight, be able to recognise the

objects by sight alone?

It's a tough question.

Of course the person would. Most blind people, when you are introduced will shake your hand, and feel the features of your face if you let them. This lets them have a "visuall" way to identify you. I think that by seeing the sphere as being curved and no sharp points, they would relate that to when they touched the object that was smooth. The cube, they would remember it had 6 sides when the felt it, and when they see it, they just count the sides.

How does my theory hold up?

)corjello(

.... How does my theory hold up?

)corjello(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good question, let's get a blind person on here to answer that one rofl.gif

Nah, in all seriousness that's quite a good hypothesis (my big word for the day :lol: ) you've put forward and makes sense to me.

Cheers :lol:

Corjello, I understand why you have your theory. Some would says

how would you know what sharp points looked like if you had only felt them.

A friend said in his opinion it would not be possible, it would be like knowing what cabbage tastes like without ever eating it!

reading this made me think, but i think that if a blind person got their vision back they would not know what an item was without touching and feeling it again.

then again, i also think they would have an idea of what the item was, for example if i showed them a cup they would know its a cylinder so that would eliminate a lot of things.

I read an article about 5 years ago, that stated that if you lose a sense, it has been proven that other senses get amplified to compensate for this loss. same thing applies to normal people, if you close your eyes and focus just on what you hear, you will hear more then if you had your eyes open because your not thinkin about what you're seeing.

yea thats enough rambling for me.