avast! 6

NewsBot

avast! 6 is a full-featured antivirus package designed exclusively for home users and non-commercial use. The latest version of avast! antivirus kernel features outstanding detection abilities, together with high performance. You can expect 100% detection of In-the-Wild viruses (viruses already spreading between users) and excellent detection of Trojan horses. The kernel is certified by ICSA; and frequently takes part in the tests of Virus Bulletin magazine, often yielding the VB100 award.

This new version adds a way to sandbox suspicious applications. Virtualization technology enables people to create a "virtual" computer inside their physical machine. If they encounter malware while browsing the internet or running an infected application, the virtual computer will shut down, leaving their real computer unharmed and running.

The avast! engine also features outstanding unpacking support. It can scan inside the following archives: ARJ, ZIP, MIME (+ all associated formats), MAPI (Outlook pst files), DBX (Outlook Express archives), RAR, TAR, GZIP, CAB, BZIP2, ZOO, ACE, ARC, LHA/LHX, TNEF (winmail.dat), CPIO, CHM, RPM, ISO, 7ZIP and SIS. It also supports a number of executable packers (such as PKLite, Diet, UPX, ASPack, PeShield, FSG, MEW etc.). Last, but not least, it can also scan for viruses hidden in Alternate data streams on NTFS volumes.

download.png Download: avast! 6

link.png Homepage: avast! antivirus software

View the full article

Sandbox is great; not mentioned is the WebRep website rating browser plugin included (but optional) with Avast! 6. Sort of like Web of Trust. Unlike AVG Linkscanner, it doesn't affect browsing speed that I can detect. It's another nice feature - and it's easy to opt out of if you don't want it.

If you've installed Avast 6, how do you like the sidebar gadget?

Apparently the Avast folks are becoming defensive over some users complaining this should be an elected install not mandatory during the 'Default' install. What happened to out of site, out of mind, it seems there is little need for the gadget, a tray icon is sufficient for most users.

Anyway, it can be removed using Control Panel, better yet, select 'Custom' install and deselect the gadget, assuming you don't want it of course, and it wont install from the get-go.

What sidebar gadget? No idea what you're talking about.

It may have something to do with your OS... :)

avast! Gadget is a Windows Desktop information panel for Windows 7 and Windows Vista showing the actual protection status of avast 6.x antivirus and your computer, and it also allows you to get quickly and easily to the most common tasks of avast 6.x. By default, the avast! Gadget is installed during the installation of avast! 6.x antivirus.

...avast! 6.x: Using the avast! Gadget

I suppose if you're a WindowBlinds kinda person, another widget is no big deal, on the other hand, some of us are minimalists - only what's necessary. No wrong or right here, just an opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to add that the Sandbox feature is only available on the Pro version of Avast! 6.

I've used Avast! Home (free) on and off for many years, it's a great "shield" is the way I like to think, the File Scanner, Web Shield, Email protection, etc.

I do however love to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for scanning my Computer. ( Can't believe it is free also )

I'm not a cheapskate however and do reciprocate buying pro versions of Anti Malware products, thing is although well intentioned Pro versions can get mighty complex, and unnecessarilly bloated. Up to your personal tastes.

I have to add that the Sandbox feature is only available on the Pro version of Avast! 6.<snip>

I beg to differ - I'm running Avast 6 Free, and I have AutoSandbox. I've had it ask if I wanted to run a program in the sandbox. The UI to control it is a little obscure, though - it's under File System Shield > Expert Settings.