Hello

Sup,

My name is Aaron and I hail from California. I am a GW Guru patron and recently I have been having some problems, the biggest one being my computers CPU hitting 100% capacity with just GW running while its a DC 2.7 Pentium 4. This immediately brought me to the conclusion that it was malware and so embarked on a crusade to rid my computer of it. Norton, being my primary firewall, AV and AS, couldn't detect anything even while running in safe mode. This was very frustrating because it meant I now had to search for a suitable solution on the internet. Right after Norton had failed to do what it was meant to do I remembered a certain Guru mod who would help people often in the tech part of the forum and that he always gave people links to an anti-malware toolkit. Luckily I remembered the name of the webiste. Soon after downloading the anti-malware I installed many of the programs beginning with malwarebytes. It immediaty detected a virus and sent it to digital oblivion. Soon after, I downloaded the anti-spyware tools and found a number of threats, one being whitesmoke which I have heard of many times and I apprently had 13 of them :'( . Thats what I get for downloading torrents and using norton. In all I had about 50 threats that were detected and stomped out. Now my pc runs like the day I bought it.

+10 internet points to Tarun and his team for this awesome tookit.

Welcome to Lunarsoft!

:welcomesign:

Yes, Norton sucks - used to use it years ago, 'til malware rendered the computer unuseable. Glad you found your way here, you won't go wrong with the programs in the AMT. Now you should post a HijackThis! log (on the designated forum), find out if there's anything else you should remove.

• Administrator

Welcome to Lunarsoft Swingline!

If you want to ditch Norton, I'd highly recommend going with Microsoft Security Essentials. If you want a firewall, I personally use Outpost Firewall Pro, but they also have a free version that's a bit stripped down but still great overall.

If you do remove Norton, remember to run SymNRT too. :)

Welcome to Lunarsoft Swingline!

If you want to ditch Norton, I'd highly recommend going with Microsoft Security Essentials. If you want a firewall, I personally use Outpost Firewall Pro, but they also have a free version that's a bit stripped down but still great overall.

If you do remove Norton, remember to run SymNRT too. :)

I checked Outposts site but it doesnt look like they have a free version. They have internet security suite but its downloaded from c.net which is a place I never downlaod from due to them placing that startnow malware crap. Currently using the windows firewall but if you have know a really good free firewall that would be awesome because money is tight atm.

I downloaded the only one they had and it stopped working right after I restarted my computer.

• Administrator

Yeah, the Internet Security Suite is the free version they have. Just disable the antivirus and use the firewall itself, it'll work just fine. Also, currently there's a discount on the Outpost Firewall of 20.12 for the new year. But if you keep an eye out, they have lifetime license specials quite often. Plus, they tend to give away free licenses for lifetime but you have to keep a watchful eye for that. I wish I had some I could give out too. :)

• 2 weeks later...