So long, dialup!

Got DSL now. For a long time it wasn't available here, the only choices were overpriced cable or satellite, or dialup. Choices have improved, we got reasonably-priced DSL - and it's waaaay faster than crappy dialup. :jump:

• Administrator

Got DSL now. For a long time it wasn't available here, the only choices were overpriced cable or satellite, or dialup. Choices have improved, we got reasonably-priced DSL - and it's waaaay faster than crappy dialup. :jump:

What are your speeds now?

Edit: Saw your post in the other thread. Should post it here too.

Any connection will seem great if it's an improvement on previous experience, no matter whether it's fast in absolute terms, or not.

To my (UK-based and ADSL) eyes those speeds look unbalanced. If the Upload is 0.75 Megabits/sec, then I would expect the Download to be way faster, somewhere in excess of 6 or more Megabits/sec. Is [A]DSL in the USA different?

Mind you, the download speeds round here depend very much upon the time of day, as residential ADSL lines have a 50:1 contention ratio here in the UK. When one of your neighbours with the same ISP is hammering the bandwidth with a video download then speeds plummet downward.

What time of day were you measuring? I've actually had speeds not much faster than that in the evening peak (7pm or 8pm) period on a connection that is capable of over 15 Megabits/sec in the early hours of the morning.

That was 6:41 AM (I hadn't been to bed yet, keeping vampire hours lately). 6 Mb/s is the maximum for the service we're buying, might come close to that if we lived next door to their office. We're 50 miles away, over some pretty shaky phone lines.

Shaky phone lines I can relate to.

I've looked at the wires snaking through the trees (and the insulation being rubbed-off by the branches swaying in the wind) and watched the squirrels gnawing at the wires as well and wondered how broadband makes it at all in some rural areas here -- and that's nothing like 50 miles from the nearest exchange.

Anyway, enjoy the new speed!