CD-RW COMBO Drive Won't Read Disks I've Burned

Eve3Faces

My 16X DVD+/-RW CD-RW COMBO Drive will not read disks I have burned or new blank disks.  I'm thinking this is something new because I haven't burned a disk in over a year, but don't know what caused it.  It has no trouble reading game disks.  I took a couple of the burned disks to a friend's house and her drive opened them right up.  I have tried several web-found suggestions, such as deleting the UpperFilters and LowerFilters keys in the Registry.  I've also tried doing diagnostics, which say there is no disk in the drive when using a burned or blank disk, but will diagnose the drive with a game disk in it just fine. If I put a burned or blank cd in the drive, and start Nero, the program stalls, the light blinks for a while and then turns steady and then won't eject the disk when prompted.  I then have to turn off the computer and restart.  I am stumped.  I know it's over 6 years old, so should I cave and get a new drive?

• Administrator

It's really hard to say what the exact cause is. Since you can burn media I'm assuming that the hardware is detected. Other drives can read it. I doubt it's a connection. It may just be going bad, unfortunately.

Something not yet mentioned -- Combo drives have two lenses so you may be able to read DVDs (but not CDs) or you may be able to read CDs (but not DVDs) depending on which lens has "died". If you can read one or the other but not both, it's pretty definitely a hardware problem, not a software problem, in which case just replace the drive as already suggested by greenknight, above.

Yes, I had a similar problem - my drive wouldn't detect DVDs, worked fine with CDs. Researching fixes, found lots of things might cause the drive not to be detected, but if the drive wasn't detecting one kind of disks there was not much...it might help to clean the lenses, and I found this: Fix calibration of CD/DVD drive - no disc error. A lot of trouble, and might not help.

Then I checked he price of replacing it. Found if I shopped the sales I could get a much faster drive than the one I had for under $20.00. I said "To heck with tinkering" and just replaced the drive. It was worth it for the upgrade anyway, even if the old drive had been fine.

I still have the old drive, thinking I might open it up and fiddle with it, see if I can get it to work. I have an empty bay I could install it in. May never get around to it...don't have much need of a second optical drive.

Archived