Did I handle this right?

Got a text off my sister today, saying she had to have her horse (Megan), put down.

I replied something along these lines:

"Don't really know what to say except we are all really sorry, anyway at least Megan made it through christmas."

All she texted back was "thanks".

So I don't really know if I said the right thing.

I never have been any good dealing with death, but this was the first time an animal had been involved, and Megan was her life.

• Administrator

Considering it was a text, that's pretty good in my honest opinion. Perhaps call her later. And maybe gather some pictures or something for her. Make her a little collage or photo album? Title it something like "A Love Never To Be Lost Or Forgotten..."

i think ya said the right thing, death is never something thats easy to talk about.

and its really sad losing family members, being a human or an animal, especially around the holidays.. I lost my Grandma on December 23rd of 2001... Christmas just wasn't the same.

WOW Tarun, you're really deep dude, and I mean that in a good way!!! I think that's a Great Idea, but if you do that, you might want to wait to do pics and stuff for at LEAST a month.

I know that this bird that I had (first bird) when he died, (I hadn't even had him that long, maybe 3 years) but I was so upset and my daughter bought me another bird within 6 months (on Mother's Day) and I cried really hard, but it was cuz it just brought up the dying again. It was still so fresh. I know my daughter meant well, but I was just really not ready to see another bird, let alone have another one. Hell, I didn't know that birds had personalities till I'd gotten that one. He use to dance to the Andy Griffith song over and over and OVER again, but he was cool!!! He'd dance from one side of his cage and kick up a foot, then dance to the other side of the cage and kick up that foot and then whistle while he flipped his head funny. He was GREAT! *lifting my coffee cup* CHEERS TO SUNSHINE!!!!

Considering it was a text, that's pretty good in my honest opinion.  Perhaps call her later.  And maybe gather some pictures or something for her.  Make her a little collage or photo album?  Title it something like "A Love Never To Be Lost Or Forgotten..."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WOW Tarun, you're really deep dude,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I must agree Texas, Tarun's post amazed me, he just seem's to be oozing with inspiration.

BTW, still can't bring myself to phone her yet, I bumped into one of her mates in a shopping mall yesterday so I told her all about it and she said she would phone her.

My neighbour died today, he was the nicest old boy you could ever wish to meet, 84 years old, leaves behind an 86 year old widow, **** they have done well.

"Sleep tight Ernie, everyone next door will make sure Cissie is OK."

They say things come in three, but I dont want anyone else or anything else passing away in the very near future.

Luckily, I have only known them properly for about 3 years, (although I have sort of known them for about 18 years), since I have lived here, but it was my in-laws house for about 40 years prior to that and they have known them all that time.

It hit them harder than me, although my eyes welled up when I wrote the last post.

Luckily, I have only known them properly for about 3 years, (although I have sort of known them for about 18 years), since I have lived here, but it was my in-laws house for about 40 years prior to that and they have known them all that time.

It hit them harder than me, although my eyes welled up when I wrote the last post.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

**** Cappy, I'm so sorry and yes, I've heard that things come in threes, seems like mine just don't stop sometimes. I'll be praying for Megan and for Cissie and for all their families and loved ones that they left behind. My heart truely goes out to you and those around you.

*whispering* it is Ernie that has gone to sleep, Cissie is still next door, (I hope).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dang I actually meant pray for the ones that were still with us, like your sister. I'm so bad about death. I mean what do ya say? I really dread the day that my parents go. I'll prolly just fall apart. I just hope i get my money soon so I can send them to Rome. Soon enough so they can still enjoy it. My Daddy has always wanted to take Momma.

I hate the thought of my close family dying, they really are my rocks.

I often phone my mum and dad for help and advice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, I call and talk with my parents every single day. We almost lost Daddy a few years back and *sigh* first time I'd seen him cry since my accident. He was just so grateful that he was still here with us. So were we. He tried to say the Thanksgiving blessing that year, and we all cried, so we decided he couldn't do the blessing anymore. Bless his heart. But I'm Daddy's little girl and oh man, I wanna die when he does. And of course I love my Momma too, but she and my sister are closer that way. I just want us all to die together. :P wouldn't that be nice?

My parents have always been there thru everything I've been thru and since I was a single parent then they were there for the advice and encouragement especially when my son went thru his teenage years. Oh that boy is lucky he's still alive LOL

I just shudder Cappy, I really do. We're all so close