Asus DVD

Sniper

I have a OEM Asus E616-P3 16X DVD-ROM that I got from Newegg. I don’t have any trouble playing movies on it and Snowblind and Brothers in Arms run fine. I’m having trouble with a game called Shadow-ops : Red Mercury put out by ATARI. When I try to load the game, it gets to a certain .cab file and I get a CRC error. I took the game back and got another copy, but it does the same thing. I’ve flashed the latest firmware for the drive. I switched back and forth between DMA and PIO thinking that might help……zip. I tried to copy the disk to my hard drive and got a CRC error on the same file. I tried to copy just that file and it did the same **** thing. For some reason, this drive cannot access that effing .cab file. The only thing I haven’t tried, is dancing around the computer nekkid with a dead chicken tied around my neck. If anyone has an idea let’s hear it, cause me and the tech guy at ATARI are drawing a blank. :P

..........The only thing I haven’t tried, is dancing around the computer nekkid with a dead chicken tied around my neck.......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, there's your problem, it's 'sposed to be a LIVE chicken as the little treasures it drops are counted as good luck charms.......

Cheers :P

• Administrator

Try installing it in Safe Mode. You may have something running like anti-virus or anti-malware that is hindering the copying of the cab.

Upon checking the FAQ for the game on the ATARI site, I've found on their site that if you Disable 3rd party applications running in the background you should have success installing. :P

Well, there's your problem, it's 'sposed to be a LIVE chicken as the little treasures it drops are counted as good luck charms.......

Cheers :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was alive when I started, but he dropped a good luck charm in my lap and I wrung his little neck. :D

Try installing it in Safe Mode.  You may have something running like anti-virus or anti-malware that is hindering the copying of the cab.

Upon checking the FAQ for the game on the ATARI site, I've found on their site that if you Disable 3rd party applications running in the background you should have success installing.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Tarun, but the tech guy and I have been that route. Shut down Norton and turned off everything in Task Manager that could be turned off. My drive appears to have a problem with that .cab file that I may not be able to work around. Think I'll just borrow a spare drive from my nephew to get it installed, should work after that.