has anyone overclocked their CPU

Monkey Proof

• 8 months later...

I build systems and over-clock constantly.

One thing I have learned is DO NOT play with the voltages with these newer processors! The correct voltage, to with-in 1/10 of a volt is critical!! Some it is 1/100 of a volt!!

Most systems will let you play with the multipliers and the speed.

If you overclock, remember play with the speed first, and try not to go over 1% at a time. If it's stable go more, but don't go over 5% and 8% on the multiplier.

That can be a very costly mistake, especially with the new dual-core processors!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've undervolted my laptop, and underclocked/volted my desktop as well - both to reduce the heat output of the system. My desktop system is jsut about silent (the hard drives are the loudest part), and the temperatures of everything are well below their limits.

I've undervolted my laptop, and underclocked/volted my desktop as well - both to reduce the heat output of the system. My desktop system is jsut about silent (the hard drives are the loudest part), and the temperatures of everything are well below their limits.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My hard drive, if you would believe, is actually the most audible part of my computer... the power supply fans are decent, and I have a large aluminum heatsink so I can turn my CPU fan's RPM much lower... but my HDD has a very audible whine.

The next after that is power supply - do you use a silent PSU?

My hard drive, if you would believe, is actually the most audible part of my computer... the power supply fans are decent, and I have a large aluminum heatsink so I can turn my CPU fan's RPM much lower... but my HDD has a very audible whine. 

The next after that is power supply - do you use a silent PSU?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alot of the newer good PS's are pretty quiet, I'd sugges checking the manufacurers website for the specs. Look for the dB number--lower is better.

Sounds like you have a Seagate HDD, they always have had a whine.