regedit

start>run>regedit

it edits your registry, honsetly, if you didnt know what it did, leave it alone.

be very very careful... it can screw you upsidedown and you wont know what to do

)corjello(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One suggestion before you edit anything make shure you back it all up first... do not edit anything or delete anything unless you are shure it will have no adverse side effects later, these may not even be apparent right away but when you start a program sometime they may emerge :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

a buddy has a registry edit to get rid of the little shortcut arrows on the icons on the desktop. his webpage has the instructions to do it, but i couldnt find regedit.

by the way, how do i make a registry backup?

Heres the thing i am supposed to do to get rid of the arrows. The problem is, i cant find the registry item, and i used search.

1. Start regedit.

2. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTlnkfile

3. Delete the IsShortcut registry value.

You may need to restart Windows XP.

Don't f your system :)

To Remove the Icon:

Open your registry and delete the value named 'IsShortCut' from the keys [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile], [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile] and [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut].

I looked for files, and couldnt find them. any ideas? i ran right through the registry.

To Remove the Icon:

Open your registry and delete the value named 'IsShortCut' from the keys [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile], [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile] and [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut].

I looked for files, and couldnt find them.  any ideas?  i ran right through the registry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didd you try search, search for lnkfile, piffile, InternetShortcut search for those andthendo the required edits on the results :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

If all you are trying to do is remove the little arrow from shortcut icons then I would use TweakUI like Ryan suggested a few posts ago, it is a much safer way to do it.

Exactly. If you're going to clean up your reg, use Reg First Aid and Compact (see http://www.lunarsoft.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=311) - should help as well.

• 1 month later...

ok, my computer died again (i installed windows defender, and when it restarted, well, it just never did). so now i want to get rid of the little arrows in the shortcuts, and i cant remember how i did it with tweak ui! arrrrghghghgh! any suggestions?

Archived