A Few Problems

Hi, Im not completely sure where to post this. But please move it if its in the wrong section :)

Well, here's problem 1:

I have recently change to broadband. And since then I havent been able to access a site which I used to be able, would the ISP be the cause of this?

#2, is software related problem:

I have symantec antivirus. Which I update. And I have like 7 trojans or so on my computer, which are safely (or not) in quarantine (sp?) and I cannot seem to actually get them off my system.. Besides leaving them in quarantine.. Any help?

Much appreciated. Thanks

//haze

Oh okay.. lol I know symantec sucks **** excuse the language xD

What would you recommend between bitdefender and clamwin. I downloaded a trial of ewido, and found it very good to use, user friendly etc. I got all the trojans off later this arfternoon (AUS) With symantec, and ewido which is good. But I think I will try something different to symantec, seeing as they were in quarantine for 2 months +, and zone alarm isnt much better.. It makes you allow everything you go on etc. So commetns on clamwin or bitdefender would be much appreciated.

Thanks

//Haze

• Administrator

I agree with CaPMan. It could be anything from the fact you changed ISP's to things such as your DNS needing to be flushed; to a firewall on your computer blocking the site.

Press the Windows key + R, then enter the following without quotes "ipconfig /flushdns"

As for Anti-Virus, eTrust has one year for free and is recommended in our Freeware List.

To answer CapMan. I was on a different ISP, then while I was waiting or them to deliver ADSL, they put me on they're dial-up, I could access it on that, but now not Broadband.

For Tauren, I used bitdefender, but I keep having problems with it saying Buffer over-run and such. I might have to change again to something.. Nothing seems to work for me :(

To answer CapMan. I was on a different ISP, then while I was waiting or them to deliver ADSL, they put me on they're dial-up, I could access it on that, but now not Broadband.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does not seem to be an ISP problem then, (and I know all about them :) ).

Oh okay.. lol I know symantec sucks **** excuse the language xD

What would you recommend between bitdefender and clamwin. I downloaded a trial of ewido, and found it very good to use, user friendly etc. I got all the trojans off later this arfternoon (AUS) With symantec, and ewido which is good. But I think I will try something different to symantec, seeing as they were in quarantine for 2 months +, and zone alarm isnt much better.. It makes you allow everything you go on etc. So commetns on clamwin or bitdefender would be much appreciated.

Thanks

//Haze

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm, another Aussie..... TAKEOVER TIME!!! :)

G'day Haze,

whom are you with if you don't mind me asking? Optuse or Telstra?

Telstra Bigpond (who I'm with) doesn't block any IP addresses. Not sure on Optus though.

As for changing your AV programs, go with what you've been told here by the other folk and you won't go wrong.

Next thing, if you're on broadband, as you've stated, consider buying a Router/Switch. The majority of these have an inbuilt Firewall which is next to impossible to get past and will alleviate having to run a software one, as in ZoneAlarm.

I have a Router/Switch and ditched ZA years ago as it's not needed for incoming malware. You just need to be careful on what you download though. My rule of thumb is to send it to a specific folder I have on my system and then run Ewido and ETrust Anti-Virus over it first before running/opening it and I haven't been infected yet. That's stood me in good stead for 3 years now :fingers crossed:

Oh and welcome to the forums.

Cheers :sick:

Thanks everyone for being so helpful. I have bitdefender which seems to be working fine.. Besides it keep saying its over run and closing everything lol..

I am on AAPT. I just got off Telstra, rid of their stupid lock in plans.

I do have a router, yet to be setup to let my other laptop and other PC to the net so far. But will be soon.

Also, I have a friend, who has numerous anti virus software. And I am wondering if I should just borrow full versions off him, or just use the free trials?

//Haze

Use the free trials to see if you're happy with the programs, then decide whether you want to pay for it or try another one.

I used to have PC-Cillin but ditched it in favour of ETrust as it's background resource usage is WAY less, and the less RAM usage the happier I am :)

As for AAPT, can't say I've heard much of them, but I'll be sticking with BogPond as my contract is over and I now just pay the monthly rate. I've been with them for 5 years (cable) and have had no problems which gets a tick in the box from me even though they are dearer than other providers.

Cheers :sick:

Ive used free trials. And I liked bitdefender, I borrowed a full version from a friend.. But it keeps saying "error buffer overrun" Why is this happening?.. And how could I fix it?

About AAPT, I dont know if they've blocked this site, but I guess it doesnt matter..I was with bigpond, I hate how they try to lock you into deals, but its personal preference. Thanks

//Haze

Okay. Well instead of making another topic ill continue this.

By the looks of it ive resolved the bitdefender problem. (thanks everyone)

But, I cannot get onto msn.. (chat client) I keep getting an error, then saying troubleshoot, I click troubleshoot.. It does the checkup scan. I click "repair" and it is unable to repair whatever the problem is.

I have uninstalled-reinstalled it numerous times.. It doesnt help. Maybe I can get a more helpful answer here?

//Haze

Well, the bitdefender isnt fixed now after all :(

Im not sure whats causing it? I scan dial-a-fix, which seemed to fix it for that day.. But now it keeps, unabling all the features in bitdefender, and doesnt let me click them back on..

And the issue with MSN messenger is still occuring. I havent patched it? Not sure what patch I need?

edit: MSN messenger is working fine.. It turns out my date was in 2005, not 2006.. I check the dat numerous times, but foolishly didnt check the year shifty.gif Thanks krit86lr, they helped me lots in the process.

Bitdefender is still having visual C++ buffer overrun errors though :S

//haze

Well, the bitdefender isnt fixed now after all :(

Im not sure whats causing it? I scan dial-a-fix, which seemed to fix it for that day.. But now it keeps, unabling all the features in bitdefender, and doesnt let me click them back on..

And the issue with MSN messenger is still occuring. I havent patched it? Not sure what patch I need?

edit: MSN messenger is working fine.. It turns out my date was in 2005, not 2006.. I check the dat numerous times, but foolishly didnt check the year  shifty.gif Thanks krit86lr, they helped me lots in the process.

Bitdefender is still having visual C++ buffer overrun errors though :S

//haze

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Haze,

I'm glad that MSN was an easy fix after all.

It sounds like you're having a lot of problems with BitDefender (is it worth the hassle?). Have you tried any of the other suggestions yet?

Note. When we were chatting earlier, and I told you to install Defender...I thought that we were talking about Windows Defender (oops). Scratch the BitDefender (I hope that you haven't reinstalled yet).

Good Times! :cry:

K

oh okay.. Hm, Im not sure... I might give zonealarm another try. Is windows defender good? Is it a firewall.

//haze

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another option you might want to look at is getting a Router/Switch. It'll give you an inbuilt firewall and will control incoming comms, thereby screening you from outside attacks.

For internals (trojans, dial-homes) I believe that the new Windows Defender will defeat most of those. But if you follow the simple rule of screening EVERYTHING that you download you should have no problems there.

My rule of thumb for downloaded software is to run Ewido and ETrust over it first before opening/installing and I have NOT (knock on wood) been infected for 4years plus since having a Router/Switch.

Just food for thought.

Cheers :cry:

oh okay.. Hm, Im not sure... I might give zonealarm another try. Is windows defender good? Is it a firewall.

//haze

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Windows Defender doesn't have a firewall, but you should still download it. eTrust does have a firewall, and like I said yesterday...it's easy to use so you would like it.

The other suggestions in this thread are definitely good choices as well. I'm just settled with my own personal choices. You can try different things to determine what you like best.

This is what I use for total protection.

Spybot Search & Destroy, Adaware Personal SE, CWShredder, DSOstop2, Windows Defender, SpywareBlaster, eTrust Antivirus, Ewido, and a hardware firewall.

Layered security is important these days in my opinion (although I do go a little overboard myself :cry: )

Good Times! :D