Windows Defender Beta 2

JMac

When i run the install program and i accept the terms and conditions i get sumhing about product key invaild please contact microsoft i have had my comp for 1 year no problems since now. Windows XP came preinstalled on it. it says on ms page contact reseller but i bought it from a person my dad knew and he told him it was (BRAND NEW). i guess not though can any of you help me out

Also had a problem trying to install Windows Connect.

Also Can you install Windows Home over XP Pro as it came with Pro but the identify sticker on the side of come says HOME and its a different product no.???

phoned them awhile ago i explained to ms and they told me buy computers from offical dealers such as pc world etc and they also said you can ethier buy xp again or buy a whole new comuter as if he sold you it the way you explained there might be some other (hidden within comp) problems.

that is what i remember about the call.

if i had to buy a new comp i might get one of these e-computers

where did you buy the computer in the first place? did you buy it from a actual retail store from a 'third party' such as a friend? if you bought the computer from a retail store and report that to Microsoft they will most likely give you a free copy of Windows.

I Explained to ms and the answer the guy gave me is above well its along those lines.

It was a person who gets computers fixs them up then sells them on. well thats the best i can explain to you. As for the person he was a friend of my dad. but my dad said hes moved countries now.

• Administrator

Do I need to uninstall Antispy first, or do I wait as Microsoft says and wait until I am contacted about the defender update?

It gets uninstalled regardless. Windows Defender will remove MSAS, so it really doesn't matter.

OEM?

THE ones above are the full versions, not upgrade ones also the price was taking from pcworld.co.uk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In otherwords if i buy XP HOME cud i do a clean install over my botchd xp pro?

• Administrator

Check out these links.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16837102062

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16837102059

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer.

What is Microsoft OEM software (vs. Retail box)?

Microsoft OEM software is a full version (non-upgrade) which includes the CD-ROM, the Certificate of Authenticity (COA), and the product key codes. These elements are all you will need to load and run the software. The software runs exactly the same way as the full retail version. The differences between OEM and Retail are:

1.) You will have to contact us, not Microsoft for technical support on OEM products

2.) With OEM, you will receive an installation manual only, instead of a full user's manual

3.) OEM does not come in a box. OEM cannot be used to upgrade from a previous version of software. However, you will be able to upgrade OEM to a future release.

That has helped me understand OEM a little bit more.

Also, JMac I never knew you were a UKer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea i live in perth,scotland there notalot o good comp shops around me :( thats why im here :)

****, I know what you mean, Scotland is a lovely part of the UK, but I know it can be a bit rural and lacking in some of the main high street stores.

Not sure if I have ever been to Perth yet though, I probably did when I was a kid.

Have dated a Scottish lass though, but that is a different story altogether and not helping with your problem.

• Administrator

You could try ordering from a local tech shop, if there are any.

What was previously on the machine?

Personally, I would want to get the Full version because you can do a clean install of the OS. But it all depends really on what was on the pc before. (Due to the age of the machine).

XP PRO. He had 1 code he cud use for a certian amount of computers.. im so p***ed i just want to track him down and have a kind talk :) ,im just so annoyed as ever since ms added this to alot of there install programs im getting this and like a year ago ms never had it like this.

as far as i know my comps only a 2years old unless thats a lie :(

The specifications of your computer would give a lot away as to it's age.

What info do you have on the following:

Processor (this will be the biggest clue probably)

Hard Drive (size)

Memory (size)

Graphics Card

Sound Card

Also, if you are certain you don't want to order a copy of XP over the net and don't have a pc shop nearby then you can order from pcworld over the phone.

Processor : Intel Celeron 2.70

Hard Drive : 200GB SEAGATE (UPGRADE) IT WAS A MAXTOR 80GB

Memory : 768mb (ADDED 512MB) IT WAS 256MB

Graphics Card : nividia GEFROCE 6600 (UPGRADE) IT WAS INTEGRATED (SiS)

Sound Card : SB AUDIGY 2 ZS(UPGRADE) IT WAS INTEGRATED (SiS)

but if i buy one from pc world it will be retail not OEM ? DOES THIS MATTER?