Windows XP CD Corrupted?

krit86lr

I really hope that someone can help me.

When I put in my Windows XP CD, I get the following message.

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows. :P

What am I supposed to do now? My CD is only 3 months old. How can it already be corrupted or not compatible with Windows?

I reckon there probably was a pm in there somewhere and that lokoike told krit to clean it with isopropyl alcohol or something similar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes sir! Lokoike said that I could clean the CD with alcohol or put it in the toilet and flush.

Oh, myyyy...I chose the alcohol. :) I've gotten the same error on 2 other CD's now, and cleaning them with alcohol fixed those issues as well.

Moral of the story: Clean your CD's. :P

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

So basically, use rubbing alcohol to clean them.

I wonder if an alcohol swab/prep-pad, etc would work too. Probably would.

Can anyone confirm if this is safe for DVD media too?

So basically, use rubbing alcohol to clean them.

I wonder if an alcohol swab/prep-pad, etc would work too.  Probably would.

Can anyone confirm if this is safe for DVD media too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't tell you positively if it is bad for disks or not. I can say that I have used rubbing alcohol for both CDs and DVDs on multiple occasions and have only had positive results. I didn't notice any physical disk degradation from using alcohol. It didn't cause the disk to bubble or wear away, it only cleaned off the grease and dirt, so I would say from personal use that it is okay. But once again, I haven't studied up on it, so someone may want to research that just in case.

now why did i think that you guys were talking about Alchohol 120%?

why not just clean it with regular water and then wipe it off with a kleenex. that's what my science teacher told me to do :sick: .

now why did i think that you guys were talking about Alchohol 120%?

why not just clean it with regular water and then wipe it off with a kleenex. that's what my science teacher told me to do :sick: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't use a kleenex (usually loaded with lotion/aloe etc...), but water was another suggestion. Did you overlook the toilet method? ROFLMAO

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooo, I haven't tried that, but just thinking about it, that sounds like a major no-no!

For one thing, alcohol is better for cleaning than water because alcohol evaporates quickly and thoroughly. Water on the other hand, does not dry nearly as fast, and you wouldn't want to risk putting a moist CD into your drive (for obvious reasons).

And I wouldn't recommend Kleenex either because:

1. What K said

&

2. Kleenex is really messy and flaky when it gets wet. Just try wiping down anything with Kleenex; it will leave little paper specs and residue all over! The best thing to use would be a lint-free hand towel. If you don't have anything like that around, paper towel works okay (just don't go too rough, as it might scratch the disk's surface). But I definitely wouldn't recommend Kleenex or any other soft tissue!

darnit people!...

just lick the dang thing and wipe it off with the sleeve of your shirt. works like a charm for me everytime.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never heard truer words of wisdom. :sick:

Another option if cleaning fails.

Had a prob with an xp install cd where it would stall at the 35th min mark.

Cleaned as per normal but no go.(licked and shirt sleeve)LOL

Ran a CD rom lens cleaning disk and that worked here. :sick:

Archived