So I've tried Opera 9.0...

Tarun

• Administrator

Note: Don't get me wrong, I actually really like the Opera browser. It has a lot of promise on getting me switched over. But I'm ranting about my issues with it and why I'm sticking with Firefox.

I tried it, but I can't stand not being able to place the toolbars where I want. Seems to have fits with cookies too. IE: not remembering your logins and such. It has several site displays really screwed up too, which is a shame. :\

I definitely miss right clicking on my bookmarks (see them in the screenshot) and being able to have them on a special toolbar that is aligned with the menu bar.

There is a personal bar you can add, but you can't reposition the toolbars and I absolutely hate it!

I did put the tabs on the bottom by moving the address bar contents to the main bar. You can also move the bookmarks you can add to your personal bar to the main bar.

Opera:

Firefox:

One other thing I noticed is that when there are ads, Firefox and Outpost will remove where the image that is an ad would appear completely. Opera does not. :\

• Administrator

One other thing I noticed is that when there are ads, Firefox and Outpost will remove where the image that is an ad would appear completely.  Opera does not.  :\
Its a shame but it's Opera after all.

I just made a couple screenshots to prove what I'm talking about. Who knows, there may be an option to change this.

ah..having the tool bar exactly the way i like it is one of the many features i like best about FireFox.

Yep, I'm really amazed at how fast Opera is though.

Firefox:

Opera:

A big difference. Literally.

Something else I found that Firefox has and Opera is missing. You can't right click bookmarks to open in a new tab.

One other thing I noticed is that when there are ads, Firefox and Outpost will remove where the image that is an ad would appear completely.  Opera does not.  :\
Its a shame but it's Opera after all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just made a couple screenshots to prove what I'm talking about. Who knows, there may be an option to change this.

ah..having the tool bar exactly the way i like it is one of the many features i like best about FireFox.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I'm really amazed at how fast Opera is though.

Firefox:

post-1-1150898588_thumb.gif

Opera:

post-1-1150898597_thumb.gif

A big difference. Literally.

Something else I found that Firefox has and Opera is missing. You can't right click bookmarks to open in a new tab.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you're getting at here with the screenshots.

I take it one is loading faster than the other, but you're not giving timings. If it's only a second or two difference I'm not going to moan about it, however this could be an issue for those on dial-up where the time is going to go up incrementally.

As for toolbars, I tend to use the default ones and change them according to what I want (ie; the buttons I use most).

As for ad images been hidden, well, yes I'd like to see that, but once again, being on cable, it's not going to slow down my browsing any whether they show or not. And depending on the site/s I'm visiting, sometimes I'd actually like to see the ads as they may point me in another direction to find what it is that I'm looking for.

At this stage, I'll still stick with Opera as it's still using less resources than FF and that's my main focus on any program that I load on my system. If it's a resource hog, I'll surf the web till I find an equivalent program that uses less resources and dump the hog.

Cheers :P

• Administrator

Post 1 shows the toolbars positions and where I can have my bookmarks for my top sites. Exactly where I want them in Firefox. Opera I had to place them elsewhere.

Post 4 shows how Firefox (with Outpost's ad removal) will not show much/any of the ad space, whereas Opera shows the image placeholder.

Right now, Firefox is taking up appx 22,500k and Opera is taking up 25,000k according to TaskManager. Exact same pages/sites and tabs open too. :P

I don't tend to worry too much about how many resources are being taken up anymore, because with 2GB of RAM it's not an issue unless you can tell performance is being slowed. I do like how Opera properly renders sites 100% correct and all. Every now and then I see a few issues with websites with strange things that Firefox and other web browsers display properly.

One good example is when replying on these very forums. Guided Mode and Normal Mode option boxes. The options themselves have a box around them in Opera, but not Firefox. For the Attachment section below, there is also a box around it. Even Enable emoticons and signature checkboxes are displayed wron in Opera (with it set to Windows Native) there is nothing you can choose to make it properly display. Firefox shows those checkboxes with my current theme. Opera does not. Minor issues? Sure, but if they're enough to bother users, then they should get fixed. :P

Updated my original post. :D

• 2 months later...

I'm not quite sure how you use your copy of Opera, but I don't have a menu bar at all.

opera_layout_small.jpg

I've got my bookmarks in the side bar, and I know that there, you can either middle-click them to open in a new tab, or right-click brings up the whole context menu (which includes options to open in a new tab, or a new background tab).

There's a whole lot more options to have in Opera than might meet the eye. Have a look here for more custom buttons that you might like.

As for images being replaced by the image placeholders - that might be for a reason. If the page is designed around the ads (i.e. their size gives the website it's layout), then removing them altogether might make the page layout look funny.

Post 1 shows the toolbars positions and where I can have my bookmarks for my top sites.  Exactly where I want them in Firefox.  Opera I had to place them elsewhere..........

Heh, yeah this annoyed me for a while to till I found a way around it. Place your bookmark in the personal bar, active the personal bar, then drag and drop the bookmark to wherever you want it. Works a treat.

Guided Mode and Normal Mode option boxes. The options themselves have a box around them in Opera, but not Firefox. For the Attachment section below, there is also a box around it. Even Enable emoticons and signature checkboxes are displayed wron in Opera (with it set to Windows Native) there is nothing you can choose to make it properly display.

Only just noticed this today, it's not just an Opera problem, it also occurs in with Internet Exploder (it's the only web browser usable from work). So it might well be a rendering problem across the two browsers.

Cheers :D

Something else I found that Firefox has and Opera is missing.  You can't right click bookmarks to open in a new tab.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Menu Bar > Bookmarks > point to the bookmark that you want and click shift while clicking the bookmark(ctrl + shift to load it in a backgroud tab). the most powerful thing about Opera is its ability to use shortcuts. i haven't used firefox in a long time(tried out Firefox 2.0 beta 2 and absolutely hated it) so i'm not sure if it has a lot of shortcuts like Opera does. but for me, ctrl + tab is the most useful one since i'm lazy to use the mouse :D

also as for that deviantArt anoyance, you could try turning off Turbo mode and see if anything changes. that is if you're still willing to try out Opera :) . btw, for those who don't know, Turbo mode is something in Opera that is supposed to render images instantly. but when i turned it off once, i didn't notice any change(i'm on cable soooo)

edit:wow. i just tried the same this with Firefox and instead of a tab, it opened a new window. yay Opera. boo Firefox :D

edit2:forgot to mention that the shift click and the ctrl + shift click works with everything. search boxes(even the google one next to the adress bar), links, buttons, practically everything. not sure if Firefox can do that since i just uninstalled it but i thought it might be worth mentioning.