Potential experiment

• Administrator

I have considered accepting donations to test computer software and hardware. This way there can be in depth reviews over long periods of time for things we can't always get ahold of. Pay software that is not freeware, or has to be bought to be fully unlocked.

What does everyone think of this? Would they be willing to try this?

I suppose its worth a shot, but I don't think it'd be viable in the long run. Most review sites have established enough traffic to merit the companies sending them free copies of software and/or hardware. I know I have been really lazy in getting to post some reviews, but I don't know if it'd be that much more useful.

• 2 weeks later...

I have considered accepting donations to test computer software and hardware. This way there can be in depth reviews over long periods of time for things we can't always get ahold of. Pay software that is not freeware, or has to be bought to be fully unlocked.

What does everyone think of this? Would they be willing to try this?

G'day boss,

can you provide some more information as to how this would work as I'm not sure how it would benefit folks.

Cheers :love:

• Administrator

Well, it would allow deep, intensive research on any part of hardware to see how well it functions. Recently I got a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT firmware on it, and it works extremely well. I figured since I work at a tech shop, I may be able to get my hands on other hardware and/or software and allow for intensive research on it by looking deeper into it than most websites will provide. Having good writeups and reviews for how the software/hardware works. Just a thought though. :love:

Hope it makes sense. :love:

Well, it would allow deep, intensive research on any part of hardware to see how well it functions. Recently I got a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT firmware on it, and it works extremely well. I figured since I work at a tech shop, I may be able to get my hands on other hardware and/or software and allow for intensive research on it by looking deeper into it than most websites will provide. Having good writeups and reviews for how the software/hardware works. Just a thought though. :love:

Hope it makes sense. :)

By the sounds of it, you'll be doing the majority (if not all) of the hardware reviews as you'll be getting them directly. But if you do need help/assistance/reviews on the software side I'll throw my hat into the ring to help.

Cheers :love:

• 4 weeks later...

Tarun,

can you tell me more about this router that you mentioned WRT54GL with DD-WRT firmware? how is it working out? better yet even, what exactly makes it better then the official firmware. only reason i'm asking is becouse the other day i heard some people mention it, and now i read it here..it's a sign from the gods i tell ya

and another funny coincidence, this morning i upgraded my firmware of my WRT54G v5 and i also set my wireless security to WPA2 also i disabled the SSID so it won't broadcast my SSID so hopefully no one will know i have a wireless network up and running. well, at least to the average user anyways.

Nope.

There are well-established big dedicated hardware sites that you can goto for hardware reviews, that gets sent always the latest hardware by companies for review. Sites such as TomsHardware, Anandtech, [H]ardOCP, X-Bit Labs, etc.

X-Bits Labs make very in-depth reviews like 20 pages.