Number 1 reason why you don't want to go to "hell".....

Synapse

Not fair! :cake:

Bi0haZarD? Have you used a fairly new Mac? Of any model? If not, you should, you would experience an elegance you do not find on a PC of any kind.

To do a "right-click" on the Mac, simply hold the Control key down and click on the file, works the same as right-clicking on the PC.

BUT! the new Macs HAVE a two button mouse. Even better actually, it is a Mighty Mouse! Wireless or wired.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...plm=MA272LL%2FA

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...plm=MA086LL%2FA

Expensive? Yes, but they work great and have many more features than your standard two button mouse. And if you buy a new Mac you get one with it, the wired variety anyway. (Or you could just buy any old two button mouse for your sis, they all work with Macs too, without having to install a driver, and they are immediately recognized by the Mac.)

Come on guys! Give Mac a break!

i posted this as a joke (hence the "wacky world" sub-forum) :cake:

but to answer your question, yes i have used a mac... a little to long in my opinion too.

Pretty much any computer work in schools (well... public schools anyways...) is done on Macs...

between 5th grade -> 12 grade was all Macs... except for 3 years.

5th grade - AppleII (lol).. (Karataka or whatever, was the best game ever!)

6th grade - Mac Typing class ( http://www.apple-history.com/body.php?page...&model=5500 )

7th grade - Same Macs as above

8th grade - Same Macs as above

----Graduation----

9th grade - PC's, Typing Class, Learning about windows9x series, and got my win98 box during this year (which is still in my room... .LOL)

10th grade - iMacs for a lot of Sophmore projects.. ( http://www.apple-history.com/body.php?page...;model=imacrevc )

---Continuation School (still on my highschool grounds, but for "lazy" people.. lol)---

11th grade - iMac usage in library, and daily windows98 for my Computer Applications class and Windows98 at home.

12th grade - got some iMac from the school, and heard almost all classwork would be done on those.... i petitioned against using a Mac after typing up a 5 page essay (saving occasionally) and the hard drive died when i asked the comp to print... the school "tech" had a look and couldn't fix it or recover my data, so i would have to start over...

after that, i bitched for 3 months and would only hand type things, until i got a PC in the class, after that it was my computer only, nobody else was allowed to use it, Comp was windows 2000 and had a friend of mine lock it down... never had a problem after that..

wow..... well theres the history of me if anyone cared... lol.

Well Bi0haZarD, that was a long time ago. I would give Macs a chance again. I'm sorry you lost your paper... maybe your "tech" guy was good, maybe not, but seems like it should have been retrievable. Things like that happen sometimes though...

Eldmannen, MacBooks have an F2 key, it's just that it's embedded in the keyboard and it's required that the Function key be pressed at the same time to activate. F2 on the Mac does not have the same function as the PC though, so would have done no good. Go here to see all the MacOSX keyboard shortcuts: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

And here's what Wiki says about function keys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_key

Funny, I just tried F2 on my Dell laptop with Vista and nothing happened...

don't see why you would've said "press F2" as it doesn't do anything useful...

only things i can think that F2 does on Windows is... rename.

and i think Microsoft Office has something with F2. but it's been a while since i used office.

and looking at Glade's Link, it doesn't look like F2 does anything important on Mac either.

as for me giving Mac's another try... i don't think thats gonna happen, don't have many problems with Windows, and any problems that arise i can usually fix in a couple minutes.. the only thing i've ever experienced bad on my Windows box, is...

1. Guild Wars would just shutdown my comp, downgraded my video card drivers and haven't had the problem since.

2. Somehow lost my NTFS Partition on my backup drive, just ran the freeware version (limited offer they had) of PartitionMagic, and restored it with no problems.

closest to Mac's that i'll get is probably Linux, since Mac is based off Unix.

maybe it's cause i learned everything on Windows (besides typing... which still sucks lol) but i just find using Windows a lot easier.

She wanted to rename the file, and I don't have Mac, so I told her to right-click, because I thought maybe there would come up a menu that would allow to rename, but she didn't have right-click on her laptop, I told her to press F2, hoping that it would rename the file.

I am not saying Mac is good or bad, I don't use Mac, and don't have much experience with them, but maybe you should try Mac again, maybe you end up liking it. :cake:

So Bi0haZarD, you play Guild Wars too? What is one of your characters names, I'll look you up sometime! (And it's okay if you don't use a Mac. I feel sorry for you but it's okay.)

Eldmannen, to rename a file on the Mac, simply click the name of the file once to select it, then click again, (but don't double-click) for it to become highlighted and in edit mode. Then simply type the new name. It works the same way it does on a PC. Why anyone would want to use F2 to change the name of a file is beyond me, I have never done it that way.

To think, Windows had right clicking long before 3.1.

Hardware accelerated graphics

Windows first got hardware accelerated graphics with like what, Windows 95? DirectX was released September 30, 1995.

SGI has the IRIX operating system, and had OpenGL in 1992.

User accounts

Windows got multi-user in like NT4 (July 29, 1996) or 2000? (Windows 95, 98, ME, wasn't really multi-user, they had profiles though).

Unix had it like in the 1960s.

Graphical user interface

Windows got a GUI in Windows 1.0, released November 20, 1985.

Xerox had Alto in 1973.

Multi-processor support

Windows got SMP support in like Windows NT 4? (July 29, 1996)

Unix have had it pretty much forever, probably since the 60's.

Multi-tasking

I remember Windows had multi-tasking in 3.11 (March 18, 1992), not sure if earlier versions had it too.

Unix had multi-tasking since the 60's.

Network support

I remember Windows had network support in 3.11, not sure if earlier versions had it too.

Unix was built with networks in mind, and think it had support for it in the 60's. VMS had it in the 70's.

Desktop compositing

Windows got desktop compositing with the Aero interface introduced in Windows Vista.

Mac OS X v10.2 released in August 24, 2002 had desktop compositing with Quartz Extreme.

Platforms

Windows Vista support x86 (and x86-64).

NetBSD support x86, x86-64, arm, mips, alpha, m68k, powerpc, sh3, hppa, ia64 (Itanium), ns32k, sparc (32&64), vax, etc. It runs on mainframes, Xbox, toasters, and pretty much anything lol. :cake:

Recycle bin

Windows got the recycle bin in Windows 95, released August 24, 1995.

Xerox invented it a decade or two earlier.

UTF-8

Don't remember when Windows got UTF-8 support, but it might have been with Windows 2000, unsure.

Plan 9 had support for UTF-8 in 1992.

So Bi0haZarD, you play Guild Wars too? What is one of your characters names, I'll look you up sometime! (And it's okay if you don't use a Mac. I feel sorry for you but it's okay.)

Synapse Slayer :cake:

Raefon Slayer

Insomniac Dread

and for now...

"Im a crappy monk"

lol. was kidding about running a mac when we were doing Sorrows Furnace =P it's cause i hadn't decompressed all the files yet.

Off topic stuff...

Yeeeaah, we're talking about right clicking right now; not the history of UNIX...

You was the one saying Windows had right-click long before Mac.

Well, there are lots of features other operating systems have had long before Windows, and some features that Windows still don't have after all these years.

• Administrator

You was the one saying Windows had right-click long before Mac.

Well, there are lots of features other operating systems have had long before Windows, and some features that Windows still don't have after all these years.

Don't forget who brought up right clicking in this thread. Post number two:

My sis called me and wanted help with something, I said "right-click on the file", and she goes like "but I have a Mac, it only have one mouse button...", and im like "...dough!" :cake:

Ahh! Refreshing new insight here! Thank you Eldmannen! At least Microsoft has someone good to copy. Vista's interface was a complete ripoff of MacOSX and the new search function is still not as good as Spotlight on the Mac, but they're getting there...

Bi0haZarD: Oh! So you are Synapse! Great! Now I know who I'm dealing with here! Sure glad you're back. You've been brainwashed by Tarun The Great haven't you? Seriously though, I don't mind the teasing. Being a Mac Evangelist is my cross to bear I suppose. Always the Underdog. Oh, by the way, I don't usually Monk so bad, I was distracted by a bunch of chat that was going on with some of my former guild members and didn't do such a good job =\

Ahh! Refreshing new insight here! Thank you Eldmannen! At least Microsoft has someone good to copy. Vista's interface was a complete ripoff of MacOSX and the new search function is still not as good as Spotlight on the Mac, but they're getting there...

Bi0haZarD: Oh! So you are Synapse! Great! Now I know who I'm dealing with here! Sure glad you're back. You've been brainwashed by Tarun The Great haven't you? Seriously though, I don't mind the teasing. Being a Mac Evangelist is my cross to bear I suppose. Always the Underdog. Oh, by the way, I don't usually Monk so bad, I was distracted by a bunch of chat that was going on with some of my former guild members and didn't do such a good job =\

imo the Vista interface looks crappy, and i personally won't upgrade until i know microsoft will still have an XP theme, or someone makes a patcher that removes that, or makes my current theme compatible or somethin.

lol i've probably been anti-mac since before Tarun i just don't pick jokes at it very often =P , I personally don't care which operating system people use, if Mac works for ya, more power to ya. I just find the arguments between Operating Systems playful fun. and btw, i didn't mind your healing that night, i only died once, and i don't think anyone died 2 or more times anyways. well... besides the playful fun of killing ourselves before leaving sorrows furnace =P.

Mac's still suck though.. =P