Is Vista Worth It?

As Vista is new, some applications may have some compatibility issues.

Vista have some "baby deceases", that hopefully will get fixed in the upcoming SP1 (Service Pack).

Yeah, I kinda got the impression that it was a memory hog too, but it is just the pre-fetching.

There are some new nice stuff in Vista, but all-in-all, I am not all too found of it.

I bought a new computer about a month ago, for me the choice was Windows XP Professional with SP2.

If you choose Vista, then you might want to turn off the Aero interface, because it drains the battery faster.

• Administrator

How soon might you be getting your laptop? The best time to decide the OS is probably within a week or so before you get the product.

• 4 weeks later...

XP SP3 won't be out anytime this year unfortunately.

It's not true if you look at this here Windows XP SP3

@ Ultimate Predator

Now to your question if Vista worth it dizzy.png

I think that Windows Vista is not worth the asking price: 4 GB iso or $200 because Vista doesn't have much new features

Why? Almost everything in Vista can be used in Windows XP via 3rd party software!

Photo Gallery: Google Picasa 2 (maybe even better then wpg)

Media center: Media Portal

Ie7- Ie7 ROFL

Even ready boost or DX 10!

Aero - Window Blinds

Flip - TopDesk

I'm not talking about Themes, Fonts or System sounds etc.

Many articles about vista stating:

NOT SECURE ENOUGH! (security holes)

NOT COMPATIBLE WITH SOME PROGRAMS/DRIVERS

EATS TOO MUCH MEMORY

RUNS GAMES SLOWER THEN Windows XP (EVEN SOME PROGRAMS)

USER INTERFACE - HARDER TO REACH MUCH NEEDED FUNCTIONS, LIKE FOR PROFESSIONALS!

And another reason why it isn't worth @ all:

WINDOWS SEVEN SHOULD BE RELEASED IN 2 YEARS, WHY DO I NEED VISTA IF IN 2 YEARS I MIGHT INSTALL SEVEN?

• Administrator

Well, that is a collection of hotfixes and it is not the official service pack. I also know of the leaked pre-beta SP3 which is out there everywhere on the Internet. Just because TheHotfix made their own SP3, doesn't mean it's an official SP3 for Windows.

SP3 for Windows XP Home/Professional Edition is currently planned for 1H CY2008. This date is preliminary.

Source: Service Pack Roadmap

• Administrator

A rollup of the currently distributed hotfixes and it will also include items from SP2c I believe. Microsoft will not give any support if SP3 pre-beta is installed on machines and users have issues with it.

Well, that is a collection of hotfixes and it is not the official service pack. I also know of the leaked pre-beta SP3 which is out there everywhere on the Internet. Just because TheHotfix made their own SP3, doesn't mean it's an official SP3 for Windows.

SP3 for Windows XP Home/Professional Edition is currently planned for 1H CY2008. This date is preliminary.

dizzy.png

A rollup of the currently distributed hotfixes and it will also include items from SP2c I believe. Microsoft will not give any support if SP3 pre-beta is installed on machines and users have issues with it.

As I said, I don't plan on in installing pre-beta, or even beta, just interested.

• 2 weeks later...

It's an unofficial SP for now which is great until the official SP is released. Just like the unofficial Win 2k SP5 posted here on Lunarsoft.

Archived