Software for Vista

Just got my new laptop today, currently running all my old software fine, and using Avast as my anti-virus.

However; whats a good firewall to use (currently its default windows firewall)?

I need a good undelete software for Vista?

Equivalent to TweakUI?

Equivalent to SpywareBlaster?

Should I bother with Windows Defender?

Does AdAware (1.06) work with vista?

Also, does anyone know how to remove the security center icons off certain icons

Cheers.

• Administrator

Just got my new laptop today, currently running all my old software fine, and using Avast as my anti-virus.

However; whats a good firewall to use (currently its default windows firewall)?

I need a good undelete software for Vista?

Equivalent to TweakUI?

Equivalent to SpywareBlaster?

Should I bother with Windows Defender?

Does AdAware (1.06) work with vista?

Also, does anyone know how to remove the security center icons off certain icons

Cheers.

Ultimately the choice is yours if you want to install them or not.

Windows Defender and Spybot will work for sure.

Spyware Blaster, Ad-Aware SE, and TweakUI may or may not work with Vista. I don't see why they wouldn't, but I've not tried to install them on Vista.

As for a firewall, Comodo will support Vista (the beta already does) and is coming out within a month or so.

I know WD works, but is it worth having?

I don't want to use the old Ad Aware I've decided, but I dont' want to use the new one either.

I'll use Comodo 3 when it comes out for my firewall.

So, and equivalents to what I suggested above? TweakUI isn't meant to work with Vista, and I Recuva isn't meant to be very good...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat..looking for compatable software for my Vista laptop. I just recently downloaded a free 6 month Premium trail from AntiVir and so far I like the program. But, I have only had it for 2 days now so I don't have any real pro's or con's yet. Ahh..only real pro's I have is I was confidently able to shut off Windows Defender in the mean time while I test and try out AntiVir. I have also downloaded the lastest versions of SpyBot S&D and Ad-Aware without any problems. Only thing left really is a reliable firewall and as soon as Comodo releases their version for Vista I'll be all over it. All other misc. software that I have downloaded has not giving me any compatabilty problems that I know of ...yet.

Avira AntiVir home page

free 6 month trial AntiVir Premium