Comodo Now Has Real-Time Scanner for Malware, Spyware and Viruses

Ultimate Predator

• Administrator

From what I've seen the Comodo AV is not very good at all.

I've been looking into AVG which has gotten a lot better from what it was. AVG 8 also looks really nice and it's currently a release candidate. The choice is yours, though I would recommend having a resident anti-virus.

• Administrator

Take these things into consideration. The anti-virus/anti-spyware is integrated into the firewall yet how do the definitions update? Most anti-virus programs update every four hours though Comodo Firewall's built-in AV, you don't really see any definition updates.

I mentioned the Comodo AV because that is what got integrated into the firewall.

I would completely avoid Clamwin since the detection rates there are horrible. Avast still does quite good though surprisingly AVG has been working hard and actually now surpasses avast as far as detection goes.

• Administrator

Either avast or AVG, yes.

As far as Defense+ goes, there have been users who have had problems with it blocking safe programs. The biggest problem most users have had is that it will block access to certain programs and when they go to start the programs, the users receive "This is not a valid Win32 application" error. Honestly, I'm disappointed that they integrated an anti-virus into the firewall. It seems as unnecessary bloat to me. If a user is using their Comodo AV then I can see it working from within the firewall. I always select to install the "Basic Firewall" and don't bother with their Defense+. But that is because all I really see a need for is the firewall and no need for Defense+ to control what applications access the Internet. The newer Comodo versions as of this post (3.0.16 and 3.0.17) ask about enabling Leak Protection if you opt to do the Basic Firewall only. Since the Leak Protection falls under the Defense+ category, I've always chosen not to use it.

You can use either avast or AVG for a real-time anti-virus, yes. It won't conflict with the firewall's integrated AV.

• 2 weeks later...

Either avast or AVG, yes.

As far as Defense+ goes, there have been users who have had problems with it blocking safe programs. The biggest problem most users have had is that it will block access to certain programs and when they go to start the programs, the users receive "This is not a valid Win32 application" error. Honestly, I'm disappointed that they integrated an anti-virus into the firewall. It seems as unnecessary bloat to me. If a user is using their Comodo AV then I can see it working from within the firewall. I always select to install the "Basic Firewall" and don't bother with their Defense+. But that is because all I really see a need for is the firewall and no need for Defense+ to control what applications access the Internet. The newer Comodo versions as of this post (3.0.16 and 3.0.17) ask about enabling Leak Protection if you opt to do the Basic Firewall only. Since the Leak Protection falls under the Defense+ category, I've always chosen not to use it.

You can use either avast or AVG for a real-time anti-virus, yes. It won't conflict with the firewall's integrated AV.

Sorry for bumping this thread, a little off topic.

But how would you rate NOD 32 2.7 (I dont really like the new NOD) with COMODO firewall?

Is Avast better, in your opinion?

• Administrator

I prefer Avast over any of the payware applications. About a year ago I tried a trial of NOD32 in a VM environment and it suspected temp file creation from installers, etc as being malware.

I've been testing AVG also, and while it has improved there are some areas that do not allow enough user control in my opinion. Upon doing a full system scan it found and deleted viruses in my test environment without consulting me (that I noticed), whereas avast will ask you what to do.

I prefer Avast over any of the payware applications. About a year ago I tried a trial of NOD32 in a VM environment and it suspected temp file creation from installers, etc as being malware.

I've been testing AVG also, and while it has improved there are some areas that do not allow enough user control in my opinion. Upon doing a full system scan it found and deleted viruses in my test environment without consulting me (that I noticed), whereas avast will ask you what to do.

I'll change to Avast, I like it so far.

I dont know about COMODO so far though, its just been p***ing me off so much with its stupid popups every 5 seconds asking me to allow or block things, It seems too overprotective, and always wants my confirmation even for the littlest things going on its starting to p*** me off. Surely a good firewall can determine the "majority" or permissions for programs instead of asking every 10 seconds.

You can change that , though the configuration process is a little convoluted. You have to go to Test Center > Tests (inconspicuous button in the menu bar at the top), and configure "Complete Test Settings" and "Selected Areas Test Settings" separately.

<edit> Edited the above for greater accuracy, you con't have to open the Control Center as I originally wrote <end edit>

"Automatically heal infected files" is checked by default. I'm glad you posted about that, apparently the last major update reset settings to default. I just went in and unchecked that setting, thanks to you bringing it up. :)

This is the one major complaint I have about AVG: figuring out the controls takes some study, they're not easily discoverable or intuitive.

Even though I've used it for years I still get confused - witnessed by the edit to my previous post.

I had hoped that, after they acquired ewido, they might learn something from the ewido GUI (which is much better). They've stayed with the same basic screwed-up layout, though, with only minor improvements.

• 1 month later...