Total Computer LAG

This happens sometimes with both IE and Firefox

I'll be tooling right along, things working really well, then all of a sudden BREAK DOWN. :hello: I'll go to toggle back and forth with the browsers and I can go, unload the washer and dryer and then come back and it's still waiting to complete the process.

I run ALL the things at least ONCE a day that you have listed, what's up with this?

Do ya'll have any suggestions?

I have a Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 2.79GHz, and only 256 MG of Ram, that's all I could afford at the time.

I also have another separte HD that is partitioned into 4 drives.

Thanks

Do the applications completely stop responding?

well if I leave the computer and come back, then it starts back up

256MB RAM is nowhere near enough for a Windows XP computer.  512 is a minimum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*giggle* I know, I KNOW!!! Well, tell ya what then, how about, *in a humble voice* you go to dell.com (frowning) and please tell me which RAM to buy, for a Diminsion 3000, please. I really don't wanna screw that one up too. I couldn't get the 512 at the time I bought the computer and I went on that site, checked around and their web site and found it not real user friendly. And evidently I HAVE to buy it from Dell. I even tried to find printer ink for the "DELL" printer and NO ONE would sell me ink even tho it's really a Lexmark that Dell put their name on. :hello: The next computer I will build my own. After I get more educated on these things. :D

The next computer I will build my own.  After I get more educated on these things.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

G'day TexasFilly,

That's still your best option there, if at all possible always go for home built, whether you do it yourself or have someone do it for you.

I've been mucking around with PCs for, well, a long time now and have only ever had home/self built ones (excepting for the days of Commodore - sheesh, age showing again :( ), that way you now exactly what you're getting and how to make upgrades as you go.

And building your own gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing you've done something well.

Cheers :hello:

G'day TexasFilly,

That's still your best option there, if at all possible always go for home built, whether you do it yourself or have someone do it for you.

I've been mucking around with PCs for, well, a long time now and have only ever had home/self built ones (excepting for the days of Commodore - sheesh, age showing again  :(  ), that way you now exactly what you're getting and how to make upgrades as you go.

And building your own gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing you've done something well.

Cheers :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you! My son has built several, he's just been really busy lately with his kiddo ;)

And I LOVE "warm, fuzzy feelings" ;)

Thanks SenutyEnool :hello:

gcas = GiantCompanyAntiSpyware

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*EYES WIDE MOUTH IN AN O* How the heck did I get that on my computer? ?? ?? I have Ad-Aware SE Personal, CCleaner, Cwshredder, ewido security, MS AntiSpyware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Hijack this. Those I put on my computer. *frowning*

Hey TexasFilly,

Since you only have one empty slot in your Dell, you might want to add 512 to it. Here's Crucial's choices for your computer.

MEMORY

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Tarun, I see it :hello:

Sniper, Thanks to you too, and since this is not directly from "DELL" then it will still work if I order it on line here? ONE slot huh? I've not looked in there.

I know that I have a printer that says "DELL" but I know it's really a lexmark and even LEXMARK wouldn't sell me ink for it. I had to buy it from Dell. I even tried all the computer places around here. They wouldn't sell it either :(

BTW I know it says it is compatible, just checking :D

Thanks Tarun, I see it :hello:  

Sniper, Thanks to you too, and since this is not directly from "DELL" then it will still work if I order it on line here?  ONE slot huh?   I've not looked in there. 

I know that I have a printer that says "DELL" but I know it's really a lexmark and even LEXMARK wouldn't sell me ink for it.  I had to buy it from Dell.  I even tried all the computer places around here. They wouldn't sell it either :(

BTW I know it says it is compatible, just checking :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They guarantee their memory will work. This will give you more detail.

I assume from your handle, you're in the US. You'll have to pay tax but they will pay the shipping.

Try searching bizrate.com for Dell inkjet cartridges.

They guarantee their memory will work. This will give you more detail.

I assume from your handle, you're in the US. You'll have to pay tax but they will pay the shipping.

Try searching bizrate.com for Dell inkjet cartridges.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks again Sniper! That gave me lots of info and I don't mind the tax, the shipping is usually killer :D

I'll check out the other site too! :hello:

Yup it's something in Zone Alarm. I remember disabling something in there but not sure which :( What settings should I have ?

:eyeroll: nope

where exactly would you see that? Says zone alarm Pro, and I went where you told me to, to download it and it said FREE TRIAL

WONDERFUL :hello: that worked, thanks! I'm just afraid to keep changing stuff over and over again, then I forget what is what.

what about the cookies on the "custom" seems to be ok so far

Thanks again Sniper!  That gave me lots of info and I don't mind the tax, the shipping is usually killer :D  

I'll check out the other site too!   :hello:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They've changed their shipping to standard ground, 5 to 7 days. Last year, it was free 2nd day air. BTW, I forgot to mention, your Dell can handle 2 Gig of memory.

They've changed their shipping to standard ground, 5 to 7 days. Last year, it was free 2nd day air. BTW, I forgot to mention, your Dell can handle 2 Gig of memory.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

COOL Sniper, thanks, and it's good to know that it will handle at least that much. How do I find out if I can get a better video, audio card and does it have a mic somewhere? I don't think so. Where do I look for these kinds of things?

Since I changed my address then Dell won't give me what I originally bought with this.

It was not everything I wanted but the City fried my other computer, so they are the ones that paid for this one :D I took them to the local news and they cut a check right away. YOU CAN BEAT CITY HALL!!!!! :hello:

COOL Sniper, thanks, and it's good to know that it will handle at least that much.  How do I find out if I can get a better video, audio card and does it have a mic somewhere?  I don't think so.  Where do I look for these kinds of things? 

Since I changed my address then Dell won't give me what I originally bought with this. 

It was not everything I wanted but the City fried my other computer, so they are the ones that paid for this one :D   I took them to the local news and they cut a check right away.  YOU CAN BEAT CITY HALL!!!!!   :hello:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok...the first thing I found is that getting info from Dell's website is like pulling teeth. Can't get anything specific without the "service tag" number for your computer. I did find that Dell doesn't offer a graphics card option for Dimension 3000s so your running graphics off of the Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 chip on the mobo. Since City Hall paid for the minimum memory, I doubt if they sprung for the optional audio card, so you should be running audio off of a chip as well. You have 3 PCI slots, one of which will have a modem card in it. You can get audio and graphis cards just about anywhere. I would try newegg.com. I've bought from them several times and they have good prices, low shipping, and are fast. I can't suggest an audio card but for graphics I would get a GeForce PCI 5200FX or 5500 FX, either will be under $100. Remember, PCI only NOT PCI Express or AGP. No mention of a built-in mic on your PC. I would go with a USB mic or headset. Just plug it in a front USB port when you need it.

SNIPER

Yes, on the "like pulling teeth" on the dell site, that's why I finally came here to ask these questions. Plus I'm no good at all on HW.

I appreciate all your help and suggestions on this one. I was just getting more and more confused :D

Thanks luv :hello:

SNIPER

Yes, on the "like pulling teeth" on the dell site, that's why I finally came here to ask these questions.  Plus I'm no good at all on HW. 

I appreciate all your help and suggestions on this one.  I was just getting more and more confused :D  

Thanks luv  :hello:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any time. ;)